We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August trip

Eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Topic
August trip

We are a 55 year old couple looking to find a place to stay with a kitchen for August. We would like to be directly on the beach and do not need a resort necessarily. Thought I had settled on Sugar Beach Resort but just realized it was in the "north" and very windy, and we would like to be in the south. We would like to be able to swim, but we have a rental car and also want to explore and hike. Please, any suggestions would be so helpful, right now I am overwhelmed! Thank you.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,049 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August trip

Check out the Surfside. The shore there is rocky (great for snorkeling), but you just need to walk across the parking lot to access Keawakapu Beach, a beautiful beach. Surfside is on the very south end of Kihei, just south of the Kihei Boat Ramp, right at the border with Wailea.

You didn't mention a budget, but Hale Pau Hana is another option. It is right on the beach, more central, between Kam 2 and 3 Beaches.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August trip

Also look at Royal Mauian and Kamaole Naiu next door to the Hale Pau Hana.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August trip

Do I understand you want to be in south Kihei as opposed to north Kihei? I don't believe you will find it any less "windy" in south Kihei than you will find at the Sugar Beach Resort. This is quite a bit away from Maalaea which is the windiest part of the island. Anywhere in south Maui will get windy in the late morning/early afternoon hours. Sugar Beach is so much more of a relaxing area than being in the midst of Kihei Town.

Eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: August trip

Thanks for your comments. Sugar Beach Resort sounds exactly what we want, but then I read somewhere it is very Wendy and not good for swimming. Like I said, I am feeling like I have information overload right now! And the I was trying to find a layout of Sugar Beach Resort so I would know what rooms to take and I can't find one anywhere!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August trip

I've stayed at SB multiple times. It does get pretty windy in the afternoons but as mentioned before, that same wind does fill in farther down the road eventually. The beach is great for walking. Swimming is passable, not the best since there are some rocks close to the shoreline.

If you are interested in seeing other parts of the island, it's an excellent location to stay because it's central to going anywhere. Easy to jump over to the Westside, etc.

We liked the property and rented the same condo for several years running. Most rooms have some kind of ocean view, or slice of it. Ours was ocean front with a comfortable lanai.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,777 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: August trip

You might look at the selections in this site. It's only South Maui, and the site manager does a great job of weeding out the 'dogs'. www.mauiownercondos.com

We prefer South Kihei and Wailea to the somewhat isolated Sugar Beach. If you want beachfront in Kihei, look at Royal Mauian and Hale Pau Hana as well as Kihei Surfside and Mana Kai. There are two newer complexes with large open plans across from the beach at The Palms and Maui Kamaole, where even the 1 BR's have two baths.

Although it's more convenient to tour Maui from South Maui, you'd be happy in West Maui too in August.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August trip

You might also look at the Kamaole Beach Royale. Though not right on the beach it is about a 2 minute walk - and it is a nice quiet condo building. If you book 4th floor and up you get wonderful views. Management is so helpful and kind. Units provide all you need including washers/dryers, full kitchens and equipment, beach gear. Quiet, small pool (unless you go during spring break and then all bets are off), good free parking, close to amenities in central Kihei. Go to www.mauikbr.com for info.

Eastern Ontario
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: August trip

Thanks everyone! Now just to throw a whole new wrench into this, what about Punahoa Beach Apartments?

Maui
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August trip

Smaller complex that sits right between Charley Young Beach and Cove Park. Charley Young is the "north" end of Kamole Beach I. You only have to walk about 2 mins. to get to Charley Young. Cove Park is where they surf. The grassy area in front of the complex is very nice. It does sit off of Kihei Rd.

Punahoa has a loyal following. Make sure that if you rent a studio, that they have upgraded from the "bar" sinks to a regular size. I would have hated to wash a lot of dishes in that sucker.

There was one guy on TA that always stayed there. Maybe he will chime in.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,777 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: August trip

Punahoa is a great location, but really small, kind of dark units, and the street has, well...local atmosphere?