We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

Apologies if this question has been posted before. Looking for recommendations for a condo that is beach front with walkout. I have 2 small children (4 year old and infant) and would like convenience and views. Please let me know! Many thanks :)

PS. if you have any other recommendations for things to do with small children, please let me know!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

I see that you posted on this thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60632-i109-k65481… it has great recommendations for what you are looking for in the Kihei area.

What is your budget? And what time of year will you be on Maui? That will help us give recommendations. Do you also want a place that has a a pool area especially for kids? Or is many requirement easy walk to beach?

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

I'd consider the beachfront resorts in Napili Bay. They are generally smaller and not big resorts, and the beach is very nice.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

I would say nightly budget between $100-200. Not even sure if that's feasible any more. 5 years ago we stayed in Kaui for about $100 per night, so that's all I have to compare to. A pool would be great. Looking for January 2014.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,387 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

Okay, January is more expensive because of the WHALES!! And of course, there are a lot of us escaping the horrible winters at home! So you may have to up the budget a bit. Look in Kihei, or even Ma'alaea. They will be more affordable. Kihei has a lot of condos that are across the street from the Kam beaches (Kam I, Kam II, and Kam III), and that may fit your budget better.

Have you ever used vrbo? It is a good place to start to get an idea of prices. You can plunk in your dates and add the filters to see what comes up. Many condos have fold out sofas, and that way you can save again by renting a one bedroom place. You may want the kids in proper beds though. There are places for renting cribs, strollers, and such, and some condos MAY have them there already.

Maui Ocean center is great for your kids.

Forgot to mention that a lot of places are already booked solid, due to the popularity for that time of year, so I wouldn't be wasting any time getting something booked. If you know your dates already, BOOK THE CAR!!!!

Edited: 23 July 2013, 03:18
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

Your budget is doable in N Kihei. Take a look at the Luana kai (this is where we stay), Koa Lagoon and the Maui Sunset. There are others but these are the ones I am most familiar with and feel most comfortable recommending.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
921 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

You can get a 1 bedroom with a pullout in the living room at places like Hale Pau Hana. Ali'i Resorts rents a ground floor 1 bedroom in HPH for under $200/night. We will be staying in it in Oct for $168/night. It might be a bit higher in Jan as it is high season.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

J0an123: Yes, I've been on VRBO a lot these days! Great tips for the car and booking NOW! Thank you :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

dengay: Are those properties on the beach?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

Kitsura: I definitely want 2 bedrooms. Thanks for noting those properties, will check out!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beachfront - where to stay with 2 small children!

2Shorties - In Napili Bay is the water nice and calm?