We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
226 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

Last November, we had a condo which included a landline, with free calls to the USA and Canada. We will really miss this feature this trip in a different condo, as we have a 17 year old daughter, we totally trust, to attend school and her P/T job. But, she does need called daily to make certain she is up and ready to face the day ahead of her. She loves to sleep, and obviously spoiled beyond belief, so being an early riser, and never adjusting to Maui time, I would always call. Plus, we would call her 2 or 3 times during the day, plus family and friends. It was great. Now, I am wondering if anyone knows if it is worth buying a cell phone sytem on the island, or calling cards? By asking the forum, it will save us lots of time, wobbling around Kihei from phone company to phone company likely wasting half a day. When on the US coast, which is quite often, we buy calling cards, which work very well. Anyone with any suggestions, would be appreciated.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

Hi Reggie44,

Ah...someone else going in November and we can hardly wait. We usually go in October so hoping November will be as nice. Who cares if it is a few degrees cooler it is still Maui.

We are with Rogers and we bought a package from them that was so many minutes and so many texts. It worked good for us as I could call my Mom who is aging and text our son and daughter. I think most of the major companies do that.

Maybe we will run into you on our journey

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

Reggie.......congrats on your return visit! I cannot help you with your phone choices but I can relate to the wake-up calls. I did it for years and yes, I know it was spoiling the kids but they just were not hard wired for early wake ups. They are now and have become successful, hard working individuals. I no longer make those calls unless it is a complete emergency! LOL.........your post reminded me of the good old days. Enjoy your countdown! Deb

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

Check with your cell phone provider before you go. I know Bell offers different phone data text packages depending on what your needs are.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
226 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

I have just been informed by my significant other, that our condo has free calls to US and Canada. VRBO listing didn't list that, but Maui Rentals(the people we rented through) has it on their listing. So, here I have been suffering sleepless nights, for not. I have had most of the Telus Mobile employees, and Verizon chat personel twisted in knots over this. Thanks to all of you for your helpful information.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

Noticed two postings close to our part of B.C...Kamloops...Hello!! We are a mid 50's couple, pretty much first timers to the Hawaiian Islands; have spent the last 8 years in various parts of Mexico (East and West), time for a change. We did spend 2 weeks in Poipu Kauai two years ago and loved the Garden Island! Had been thinking of the B. Island (Hawaii) but a little nervous about the VOG that can happen fairly frequently; now turning my research to Maui. Have read that Maui can get VOG as well, any comments on that??? We would be looking for oceanfront or across the street 1+ bedroom condo, with great views and no more than $135/140 night for 4 - 5 weeks. Is Kihei in our price range??? We love kayaking, paddle boarding, snorkelling, eating out and cooking in....any suggestions very much appreciated!!

Edited: 31 August 2013, 20:39
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

dubber1157 -- Try posting on the Big Island of Hawaii forum. Vog is frequent over a lot of that island; we stay in the Kohala area to avoid it.

Unless you are coming in High Season, you should find a good 1 BR in South Kihei in your price range -- likely across from the Kamaole Beach Parks. If you ARE coming in High Season, look in North Kihei and Maalaea -- and in Kahana in West Maui.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,956 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

dubber1157, make sure you "ask a question" on the Maui forum, with a new subject line. That way you will get a whole lot more responses rather than tagging on the end of this thread. Just write exactly what you have written already, and then wait for the responses. But do add what time of year you are traveling. Prices go up during Christmas and whale watching season!

Maui does get VOG occasionally, but I have never experienced any there in four trips in the last four years.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

Hi Maui rarely gets VOG and if we do it rarely makes it as far at West Maui. There have been times when Oahu has received Big island VOG and Maui (located in the middle) somehow didn't get it. Mother Maui was looking out for us.

If you have respiratory concerns then I would book a unit with air conditioning so you could close up the windows and turn on the air conditioner with the air filter mode turned on.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

Thanks for that info Jim/gloria! Any suggestions for accomodation in the West Maui area mid January to mid February for a definite maximum of $4,000.00. Would like it to be 1 bdrm, ocean view for sure.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,956 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yahoo, we are coming back in November!

You may very well have to stay in two places, as things book up early during whale season. That isn't a bad thing, given how much time you have. You could split your stay with two weeks south, and two weeks west.

Have you looked at vrbo? Chasenrainbows is another option for west Maui.

If your dates are set, RENT THE CAR!! If a costco member, check there, and also Discount Hawaii Car Rental. Just don't prepay. And check back every once in a while to see if the price drops.