We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March or July?

michigan
Level Contributor
862 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
March or July?

Hi I was thinking of planning a trip for July, but hearing about the strong trade winds during the summer months is making me think that March may be a better month. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March or July?

Well, I have been going every year for the last couple years in both March and July and I think they are both fabulous! March you have the whales, but July is great also. Believe me, you want the trades! Otherwise it can get way too hot. I really wouldn't worry about the winds at all. Go when it is best for you.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,983 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March or July?

The whales!!!! I'm all for March! There is "spring break" crowds, but July is busier, by far. Spring breaks in March are all over the place for different school districts. No Easter weekend this year either.

And how nice to get away for that last bit of winter too. You may not be able to get the condo you want though... it is booking up.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: March or July?

have been all months and we have not encountered much of a problem with the trade winds. In July mornings are usually warm and sunny. Winds can start up as early as 11am but usually a bit later and then usually calm down later in the afternoon around 4ish or so, some time blow all evening. Hurricane season is from June to Dec, but storms almost never reach the islands but they can cut off the trade winds as they past well clear in the Pacific and then it can get very hot , moggy and you can get some vog from the Big Island. So the trades keep it cooler and clear. Life goes on as usual all summer. I believe most locals welcome the trade winds as their natural air conditioner. Most of the boating is done around noonish and then pick up for sunset sails as it is calmer then. But the winds are around in some fashion all year.They are just part of the islands.

March is a bit different experience, whales are still in residence and that is an experience unto itself. Probably more expensive and still a chance of a late winter storm and some rain. But the rain is usually in and out with a quick passing cold front. have always had decent weather in March, just a bit cooler, water is cooler but still great. I'd say it is all what you are looking for and your timing. The only time we avoid Maui is Christmas, just too crowded and expensive for us, would not hesitate for any other time

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,875 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March or July?

March is a good month for south Maui, lower trade winds, lower swells, whales. July is fine too as the tradewinds make it feel cooler and keep the air clearer. March gets you away from winter in Michigan, and to see whales in Hawaii so that would be my choice, but either is fine. If you want a condo in March get on that pronto and good luck...

Edited: 12 November 2013, 05:25
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
michigan
Level Contributor
862 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March or July?

Thank you for all of the great information. We aren't going until 2015, so have plenty of time to book a condo. When the winds kick up, do you need to get off of the beach because of blowing sand? I am still undecided and I'm not usually this indecisive. i guess when you are flying 12 hours it tends to make you over think things. We are also considering spending the night in LA each way to break up the flight time. If we go in March we would have to take our daughter out of school for about 2.5 weeks.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 13:58
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March or July?

Respectfully...you are over thinking this. The trades blow...only once has it been so bad we had to leave the beach. Trades are generally light in the am and tend to pick up in the afternoon. Nothing beats whales in Maui...but anytime is a great time in Maui.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 14:01
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
michigan
Level Contributor
862 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March or July?

It will probably be July, that way we don't have to take daughter out of school, it's cheaper and we can still go to Negril, Jamaica in February :)

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,903 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March or July?

The trade wind flow is what makes Hawaii tropical. Without it, Hawaii would be a desert. The trades do blow their strongest during the summer months. I have been wind blown at every beach I have been to on Maui, so I wouldn't use location due to wind keep me from staying anywhere. With the possible exception of Maalaea which is the windiest area of Maui. If choosing between March vs July, March wins solely due to it being whale season

Edited: 12 November 2013, 14:17
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maalaea
Maalaea
Maui, HI
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: March or July?

You will like July also. It is a little busier with families, but I have been there the last 5 summers and it really isn't that bad. We have had busier weeks in March. I have never had issues with the wind, and like I said earlier, you are thankful for the wind!

michigan
Level Contributor
862 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: March or July?

Thanks again, everyone. We will probably be staying at Hale Pau Hana, I can't wait.

Mentioned in this post
The Hale Pau Hana
The Hale Pau Hana
296 Reviews
Maui, HI
Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations