We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental sadness

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
59 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental sadness

Thanks to this forum, I learned about discounthawaiicarrentals.com and made a reservation back in August for 16 days for a full size vehicle that was supposed to be about $700 or a little over $700. Then earlier this week, I checked and found a better rate: $516.17. So I cancelled the previous reservation and made the new reservation. Yesterday, we arrived on Maui. (YAY!) I go to pick up the car and add a couple of optional services (GPS & Liability coverage) which cost a total of $352.10. The grand total ended up being $1,336.00. (!!!) With the added optional services, I was expecting something more like $868.27.

I did see that there was a fee that didn't appear in the initial breakdown from discounthawaiicarrentals: concessionaire fee ($116.97), and most of the other parts that were included ended up being more than what I was initially told by discounthawaiicarrentals. Even just the estimated time and mileage ($700.75) was more than the entire total I was expecting ($516.17).

When we picked up the car, we had been traveling for some time and were just ready to GO! So, I didn't say anything about the discrepancy to the car rental company. As soon as I can get my cell phone up and running, I'll call.

Should I contact discounthawaiicarrentals? Or just the local car rental company?

Or should I bother because this is the amount I should be paying anyway? I don't rent cars frequently, but just earlier this month I rented a car through Hertz, made a reservation through their site, and when I got my initial estimate from the rental counter at pickup, it did not veer from the amount I expected. In fact I think it may have been about $20 cheaper.

Thanks in advance for any information!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,277 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental sadness

That's an unfortunate situation! I would follow it up with the car rental company - you'll need a copy of the quote from Discount Hawaii, either in print or electronic form. If you don't want to go to the effort of going back to the car rental agency office, try calling them to get an explanation of the charges. If you can't resolve it with the rental agency, I would call Discount Hawaii to see if they can help.

In our experience with using Discount Hawaii, the quote given is the full price of the rental including all taxes and fees - no surprise extras. Any optional extras are done at the rental agency counter.

On Discount Hawaii's site, you can see what the charges are that each rental company charges for extras (you'll find this by going to the tab "more" along the top of the page.) Then choose the company that you've rented from and scroll down through the details until you get to extra cost for insurance.

As an example, here's the extra charges with Avis:

discounthawaiicarrental.com/avis-terms.shtml

Good luck with getting this sorted out!

Edited: 30 November 2013, 17:43
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental sadness

So sorry to hear that. We have used DHRC several times and have never had a problem. The price we pay is what was quoted to us except of course if you add things on at the counter. I would for sure go back to the car rental vendor and ask why you are being charged more than you were quoted.

Good Luck and have a great vacation.

Cheryl

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental sadness

I have never had any additional costs from any company I have rented from anywhere that I have rented (here, Mexico and Canada)- but I never get any additional add ons either- would it be different if you don't have a US drivers license? I have no idea- but this is definitely worth a call to the company and hopefully you have your documents for DRH that state the cost you were quoted. Good luck!

Edited: 30 November 2013, 18:01
Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
59 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental sadness

I do have a US (Texas) driver's license. Thank you for your input, guys. I'm definitely going to follow up on this.

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
59 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental sadness

I went back to the airport and explained how I had made a reservation and expected to be charged $516.17 and after adding GPS ($99.50) and Liability coverage ($252.60) I was expecting to pay something like $868.27, however, the amount on the document I signed at pickup totaled $1,336.00. I asked about the discrepancy. I gave the representative both my rental document from their company and my discount Hawaii Car Rental confirmation. After silently typing away/working on her computer, she handed me a new document that totaled $898.79 and asked if that was more acceptable. It was and I didn't question further as there was an irate elderly man behind me who kept making "I'm completely exasperated" noises. It was certainly odd.

6. Re: Car rental sadness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 06:18