We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
186 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

Are there any boats that do snorkel trips to Molkini Island starting from Kihei?

Are the seas very rough in early April? And are the water temps ok for snorkeling?

MB

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
416 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

This is from my trip report I wrote last Thursday, I hope it helps. Seafire Charters leaves from Kihei Boat Ramp, I am used to warmth, and I thought the ocean temps were fine, but they did offer wetsuit rentals for $5.

They were late showing up, but the 3 gals we went with were all great.-Dana, Melissa & Vicki. Everyone was checked in, we were offered mini cinnamon rolls, signed our waiver & explanation of snorkeling in a preserve paperwork, and off we went. I will add say that even though we left about 7:45 we were back almost exactly 3 hours later. The boat ride was not too bad at all, and they offered meds just in case.

We saw several whales on the way out to Molokini, and I was super excited to get a double whale tail picture. While at Molokini, there were lots of fish and I saw a spotted eel, a green eel & an octopus! I was thrilled with the snorkel there, as it is not the dud as I had kind of heard it may have been.

Although they said we may snorkel the backside of Molokini, the winds had started to pick up, and they didn't feel it was best, so off we went. We were then served drinks & treated to our "desalinization" treat of fresh pineapple! Saw a few more whales, and I was disappointed that we did not stop at the shipwreck, but the turtle cleaning station more than made up for that!!!

As we arrived there were no less than 5 turtles bobbing In the water around us. We saw so many turtles, I lost count! It was really neat to watch all the fish cleaning their shells and to watch them glide through the water always takes my breath away. I was happy, happy, happy!

Edited: 08 January 2014, 01:14
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

There are literally tons of companies that leave from the Kihei area. Most from Maalaea which is about a 15-20 minute drive if leaving from south Kihei. Ocean conditions in April should be fairly calm but you never know. Water temps will be in the mid to upper 70's.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

I did the Seafire one out of Kihei about a month ago, they showed up about 15 minutes late too. I haven't been to Molokini for about 30 years so it was fun to go back. It was a nice boat ride both ways and it's amazing how clear the water was, I didn't use a wet suit but most people did. We got to go around to the other side of Molokini and that was very cool and very deep. If you've never been I would go for it.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,252 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

I did a trip with Redline Rafting last month that leaves from the boat ramp. See the reviews for this company,

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

Best shot to avoid rough water and an overabundance of other tourists is to take the very first trip of the day. Tours to Lanai and along the coast of Maui are also good.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

We have gone out with Seafire for the last 4 or 5 years and they have never been late but I guess it happens. We love going with them as it is a smaller boat and they get to Molikini before the other big boats so the water is very calm and clear. We have gone to the backside which was great. It is awesome to see the shipwreck but the highlight for me is the turtles. We have never been disapointed and there is always lots of turtles. Be sure to go in the morning.

Cheryl

Burnsville...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

Blue Water Rafting, Seafire Charters, and Redline Rafting all have snorkeling tours leaving from the Kihei boat ramp. I chose Redline when I was there in Feb. 2012 and they provided a great snorkeling experience. Redline is owned by two locals and typically at least one of them is on the boat so they have a genuine interest in providing a good experience for the customer. They depart the boat ramp at 7 AM whereas others leave at 7:30, 8:00, etc., so Redline gets to Molokini first. Redline's price includes all equipment including wetsuits.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
186 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

Thank you all for the information. I will look at all this and decide which is best. I was hoping for a larger Catamaran. I know there are some that leave from Maalaea, but I was trying to avoid the drive since we are staying in Kihei.

MB

Connecticut
Level Contributor
186 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

Should I book a snorkel trip in advance or should I wait until I get to Maui to see the sea conditions?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Molokini snorkel trip from Kihei

If you want to go out on a catamaran, go to Maalaea. It really isn't a very long drive at all!! They don't leave from the Kihei Boat ramp because it's small and for boats that need to be launched from land.

Do book in advance, early in your visit. Most companies will give some kind of discount by booking in advance. If you book early in your visit and the weather doesn't cooperate you will still have time to re-book. Do look at the companies cancellation policies carefully.

One local outfit that I take out of Maalaea is the Mahana Naia. Not as fancy as some other boats but love the staff, food and overall experience.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 18:22
Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations