We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving Certification

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
474 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving Certification

Hi there,

I will be in Maui in December and I would like to get certified for scuba diving. I will be with my partner who is scared of water. I am looking for a dive shop who has that something that every dive shop doesn't. What I mean is an environment where they really go above and beyond to help you and to make you comfortable. The other things I am concerned about is the price and how long it will take as I'm not too sure how long we are going to be in Hawaii for (we are waiting on my exam schedule for University). I would prefer to spend around $400, and to do it in two days, if possible. Of course I would do all of the reading material prior to coming. I feel bad ditching my boyfriend for the morning, but he says it is fine, so I hope to only have to take this from morning to early afternoon, twice. But any information is appreciated. I do realize that I am not the Queen and I can't get everything that I want, but here's hoping!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving Certification

best thing to do is get your academic and pool work at home. Is there a dive shop near you that can offer that?

If you do that then they will give you a referral and you can then do your open water dives on Maui probably in 2 days and then still have some time to do some sightseeing dives

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,092 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving Certification

Megan, please take a few minutes and watch this video with your boyfriend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvPHBMyXDw

Once you have the dates set, make sure you get a rental car right away. Maui does run out during the busy Christmas holiday time. If you are a Costco member, check their website, otherwise check with www.discounthawaiicarrental.com for a good price.

I hope the dates for your exams work for you, that you get to have a great holiday, and find the perfect place to stay!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving Certification

Personally, I'd get certified before going. At minimum, I'd get all the way up to where you just need the open water dives to complete certification, and then do those dives in Maui.

This will let you take your time learning, and let you see what you actually want to when you dive Maui (without wasting a big chunk of your vacation in a classroom or diving in a pool).

Edited: 01 August 2014, 22:28
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Diving Certification

As others have eloquently stated, I'd highly recommend getting your principals completed, either online - Sports Chalet has a good program for classroom work - link: http://tinyurl.com/owaanu9 -or- you can find a local dive shop that will provide the materials & appropriate documentation once your work is completed ... THEN you can do your open water certification on Maui as indicated above. For local dive certification options, simply google: "dive certification Winnipeg," or wherever you wish to complete your pre-cert program.

You can peruse this thread for island recommendations on who to guide you through the open water process -- "Extended Horizons" is highly recommended if you're staying on the west side. Several other options are mentioned as well: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k758268…

Alo)(a, NKO

White City...
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Diving Certification

Hi, we will be escaping the prairie winter and will be in Maui in February. Our son wants to get his open water certification. He has contacted Maui Dreams and will probably take his training with them. He will do the online portion before the trip and will spend three mornings diving. Maui Dreams said he can pretty much pick the days he wants to dive and if he is the only diver that morning they will still take him out. They were very helpful. My husband and I will play chauffer since we do not want to rent two cars. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba Diving Certification

I have done some shore diving with Maui Dreams and a very good experience. See if Red from Colorado is still around. I would dive with him anytime. They dive Ulua Beach which will have a nice easy entry and reef for your son to dive. He will have a bonus in February. That is at the height of the humpback whale migration and you can really hear them sing underwater when you scuba dive

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba Diving Certification

My kids got certified in Maui last year. They had all their course work done but just needed their dives. I highly, highly recommend Ed Robinson Diving Adventures. Jeffrey was my kids instructor and he was phenomenal! Pm me if you have any questions but Ed Robinson is highly recommended on these boards and others. I trusted my children to them. They did not disappoint

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba Diving Certification

Yes also a first class operation. I have dove with them as well. Ed has been on maui a long time

Edited: 02 August 2014, 05:15
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scuba Diving Certification

<<My husband and I will play chauffer since we do not want to rent two cars. >>

I'd email Maui Dreams with your quandary -- perhaps they will have an alternative to the chauffeur-service you're planning. They may offer pick-up service or perhaps even have an employee willing to transport your son for a nominal charge (though there are some potential insurance issues on their part if not set-up for land transport..)

Unless using the unbelievably affordable public transportation system ( http://mauibus.net/ ) on island (another option, depending on where you're staying..) getting around on island is quite expensive, but obviously your call..

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Scuba Diving Certification

When i dove with them they would not let anyone ride in their vehicles. In fact I had to give another diver a lift from the shop in Kihei to Ulua.