We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

Yikes! I've been before in August and June and had a shower here or there now it looks like 2 tropical storms/hurricanes back to back! How worried should I be?

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

I'm in the same boat - just posted on thread about weather just above you. We come in at 1:45 PM Thursday. Definitely starting to get worried about making it to Maui on time.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

That is a good question and one that I don't have an answer for!! Thing is, it's still very far away and when it crosses into the Central Pacific these tend to fall apart rather quickly. It could also take a different direction all of the sudden. Best case scenario is it will fall apart or move off. Worst case is I'm adding to my hurricane box, looking up shelters etc. I'm a planner!!

Looks like it won't be close to the Big Island until late Thursday so depending on how fast it's moving, it could be well into Friday before getting to Maui and then up the island chain.

We could get a full blown hurricane, it could be nothing or we could get a lot of wind, rain and lightening.

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
459 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

Time to perfect that ultimate mai-tai recipe!

Where is that thread....

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,487 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

Please refer to this post by SW. She gives great info and sites to watch. The local ones she gave tend to be the most accurate.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k768896…

I have been here since the 13th of July. We had 2 storms that dissipated and passed south of the islands only bringing a little rain for a day or two. I was also here for Flossie last summer which brought a little lightening. That is how most of these storms are here however there is always the possibility of it being worse. I would try not to worry too much.. I know it's hard being your vacation...but more than likely you will be ok and the weather is just something we unfortunately can't control. I hope you have a great time!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

We are in the same boat! Scheduled to arrive in Maui on Thursday for our first trip to Maui and our only 1 week of the year we get to dedicate to relaxing, spending time on the beach, snorkeling, and ejoying all tha Maui has to offer. With the weather development I am considering postponing the trip to 8/18. Both hotel & ariline are willing to change dates for a minimal fee. Would you recommend postponing now or waiting to see how the storms pan out over the next couple days? While we are so excited to leave this Thursday we don't want our one vacation of the year spent inside while its pouring rain outside.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
562 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

Shireen Z I looked at the weather report, if you're able to move your Maui vacation to 8/18 do it!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,487 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

I don't think anyone can tell you to cancel or not. As far as I know... No one knows if this will turn into "something" or "nothing". The other thing is no one can tell you what the weather will be on the 18th. This has been a very active summer already and my guess is there will continue to be storm systems coming and passing by. Your decision but no guarantees at any time.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

The little band we got a few weeks ago brought 13 inches of rain to the windward side of Oahu, 2 inches in Honolulu. Personally I would wait to cancel until it crosses into the Central Pacific where these tend to fall apart. That should be sometime tomorrow. I would wait at least until then.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

Shireen, I would change my dates if I were you, the storms might not be a direct hit but they are going to produce some rain and wind. There are two storms back to back that look like they will produce some type of weather and I don't think you'll get much beach time during your stay.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming in Thursday for 8 days & apparently so is a Hurricane

Well, looks like alot of us are coming in on Thursday. We are in Michigan and flying to Seattle on Wednesday and then to Maui on Thursday. This is our first trip (for 2 weeks) and I'm really getting nervous now. Does anyone with past experience have knowledge whether Hawaiian Airlines will cancel flights in the day before or the day of? I'm not the best flyer in the world and the thought of strong winds is kind of freaking me out!! I keep telling myself, Maui in the rain is still so much better than Michigan! Help please.

Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations