We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Maui Resort or Sheraton Maui Resort?

WILKES-BARRE, PA
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Topic
Westin Maui Resort or Sheraton Maui Resort?

Can't decide-same price-anyone been to both? Traveling with our two young teens Thanks for your input.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Maui Resort or Sheraton Maui Resort?

Aloha!

Rooms will be smaller at Westin, BUT for teens the Westin is BEST...better pools and a GREAT central location next to Whaler's Village where the teens can shop, eat, have fun, etc.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,582 Reviews
Maui, HI
Minnesota
Level Contributor
671 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Maui Resort or Sheraton Maui Resort?

Stayed at the Sheraton, walked through the Westin to visit the spa, also had a friend stay at the Westin. I think with teenagers, the Westin might be a better choice. The ambiance at the Sheraton was relaxed and quieter, while the pool at the Westin looked really fun.

Mentioned in this post
5,582 Reviews
Maui, HI
Washington
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Maui Resort or Sheraton Maui Resort?

I loved the Sheraton; but with teens, I would go with the Westin for the pool. For older adults, or those looking for a quieter, more adult experience, I would go with the Sheraton.

Mentioned in this post
5,582 Reviews
Maui, HI
Arizona
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Maui Resort or Sheraton Maui Resort?

We're making the same decision right now! We stayed at the Westin last year and loved it. Now considering the Sheraton, mostly just for something different. Before we chose the Westin last year, we spent considerable angst trying to decide between the two. I thought we made the right choice, but actually I don't think you can go wrong either way. Usually the westin is a little more expensive, so if you're getting the same price that's a nod toward the westin.

One thing to be aware of -- people say the rooms at the westin are smaller than at the Sheraton, but that's not always the case. It depends what room category you are talking about. The Westin has two towers. The beach tower is closer to the beach. That tower has two room categories, each with the word "deluxe" in the name -- Deluxe Oceanview and Premium Deluxe Ocean. These rooms actually are larger than the rooms at the Sheraton. Just an FYI.

If you're looking at one of the other room categories at the Sheraton -- not a "deluxe," the room will be very very small for teens.

We're making the same decision right now between the two resorts, and here's my bottom line: Westin -- nicer grounds, nicer pool, nicer little amenities (like wooden padded chairs), not as good standard (non "deluxe") rooms. Sheraton -- better standard (non "deluxe" rooms, a little bit more quiet, much better beach. The Sheraton has the premium location if beach is important to you. The westin is closer to whaler's village -- I liked that about it. The atmosphere is better at the Westin at night. There's music outside the restaurant, and the pool and grounds and beautiful. (Sheraton adherents will disagree with me on this. I thought it was not even close atmosphere wise, but others firmly disagree.)

If you're getting a package that includes a free breakfast, by the way, the Westin is better by a significant amount. You can take your buffet breakfast over at Tropica, the on-the-beach restaurant and watch the waves come in. (Usually, though, if you're staying at the Sheraton, you can also take the breakfast at the Westin, although it's a haul and there is no shared parking.)

We're not traveling with teens, so don't have the same considerations. Ultimately, I think we're going to go with the Sheraton this time. Mainly for the beach -- we found ourselves packing up frequently at the Westin to trudge over to the Sheraton's beach.

Mentioned in this post
5,582 Reviews
Maui, HI
Arizona
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Maui Resort or Sheraton Maui Resort?

Sorry to waste bandwith -- I can't figure out how to edit my own post. I said above: "If you're looking at one of the other room categories at the Sheraton -- not a "deluxe," the room will be very very small for teens." Substitute the word "Westin" for Sheraton.

Although, in truth, any of these rooms is going to start to feel small with teens.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
316 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Maui Resort or Sheraton Maui Resort?

We have stayed at both the Westin(3 times in its current incarnation) and the Sheraton(twice in its current incarnation), and we have gone with teens. The Westin's pool is definitely more active. They have the slides and the like. BUT it is noisy...very noisy during peak periods. The Sheraton pool is definitely quieter, but nice. Our teens bought the rafts at the Westin (about $5 each) and used them at the Sheraton pool. It was far more difficult getting lounge chairs at the Westin because of the crowds. And the Sheraton has much better beach frontage.

We found that the rooms at the Sheraton are better. And the Westin's lobby can become a sauna if it is humid. The Sheraton is more spread out. There is more walking involved, but we don't care because we enjoy walking through the gardens.

You can easily walk from the Sheraton and Westin to Whaler's Village...although it is farther from the Sheraton to the Whaler's Village.

My teenagers prefer the Sheraton (go figure!!!). They are quite social and the quieter location hasn't been a problem.

As for the "incarnation" reference: I went to the Sheraton Maui many times from 1969 on...and the Maui Surf on alternating years...and the hotels have changed quite a bit, as has all of Maui). I believe that I went there, with my family and with my parents a total of 20 plus times).

Mentioned in this post
5,582 Reviews
Maui, HI
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort...
4,650 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
WILKES-BARRE, PA
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Maui Resort or Sheraton Maui Resort?

Thanks everyone for your input. I think we'll try the Westin.

Mentioned in this post
5,582 Reviews
Maui, HI
8. Re: Westin Maui Resort or Sheraton Maui Resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 04:16