We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hawaiian dresses questions?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
65 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
hawaiian dresses questions?

hello all ladies out there, does anyone have adivce on where a good place to buy a hawaiian dress in hawaii would be? i was just searching on the net and i saw these sarong dresses, has anyone purchased one? what did you think? are there other places to buy cute hawaii dresses? i am 26 so i like more of a cute in style now dress. thanks for the help in advance.

Molokini Snorkeling Adventure Aboard...
107 Reviews
US$110 per adult
Free Cancellation
Lanai Island Dolphin and Snorkel...
43 Reviews
US$118 per adult
Free Cancellation
The Feast at Lele: A Luxury Maui Luau
76 Reviews
US$145 per adult
Free Cancellation
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hawaiian dresses questions?

Hilo Hatties.

~Den~

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hawaiian dresses questions?

Ditto......Hilo Hatties has the best selection. You will find other shops that carry Hawaiian apparel, but to save you some time "looking", just go to Hilo Hatties.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hawaiian dresses questions?

I bought matching family aloha attire for my 3 kids, DH and I at Hawaiianshirtstore.com as we hired a photographer for family shots on Wailea beach. Very cute and nice quality, made in Hawaii. Prices are a little less expensive than Hilo Hatties. Good Luck! Aloha!

Mentioned in this post
Wailea Beach
Wailea Beach
1,678 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
367 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hawaiian dresses questions?

my wife bought a really nice one in a shop in lahaina for twent some dollars.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,357 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hawaiian dresses questions?

It can be hard to find anything that isn't rayon regardless of where you shop. ALL the stores in Hawaii have "aloha wear": Macy's, Sears, ABC stores, WalMart, K-Mart, the discount store called Ross. A very long time ago you had a choice of island stores: Hilo Hattie's and Woolworth's, and on a few islands, Liberty House (now Macy's; what isn't Macy's today?)

Blue Ginger has pretty prints. Tommy Bahama has nice things. Look at Moonbow and all the various boutiques in Whaler's Village and at The Shops of Wailea.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hawaiian dresses questions?

Honolua Surf Shop has some cute things including board shorts. I got a very cute dress there. Also Blue Ginger which is located in Whalers Village and The Shops at Wailea has some very pretty dresses but it may not be your style at your age.

The sarong dresses you are seeing online are everywhere, from small market boutiques to The ABC store. They are everywhere!

Mentioned in this post
Honolua Store
Honolua Store
678 Reviews
Maui, HI
Whalers Village Museum
Whalers Village Museum
1,495 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
new hampshire
Level Contributor
456 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hawaiian dresses questions?

This made me laugh as I spent days browsing shops looking for the perfect wrap to match my new bikini - we had to stop at the mall for something and I found the perfect match in Sears!

Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hawaiian dresses questions?

If you walk down Front St. in Lahaina, you will find sarongs everywhere! However, I thought Hilo Hatties had the best selection, and at moderate prices.

If you purchase a sarong though, beware. They can be a pain in the butt to tie "just right." Of course, I'm not experienced at wearing them either. However, they are wonderful for swimsuit coverups and great for wearing to a luau with a tank top. I still wear mine all the time in the summer, as they dry quickly at the beach.

I can't wait till our trip back to Maui in April - I'm visiting Hilo Hatties again!

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hawaiian dresses questions?

I forgot to add - I'm 26 too, and found sarongs to be "cute in style" if paired with the right items.

10. Re: hawaiian dresses questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 18:16