We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport and hotel accomodation.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
transport and hotel accomodation.

We are aussies, but leaving from LA. We are going to Hawaii in August for 5 days. We plan to stay in Maui for 3 of those days and Honolulu for 2. Arrive in Honolulu at 11.30am on Sunday, leave at 11am on Friday. We are thinking of staying perhaps the first two days in Hon then on to Maui. Are the airlines usually on time? What is that transport from airport in Maui like to hotel. e.g. Any public transport, or ? transfer costs, or we are thinking of car hire as that appears to be best and cheapest. Also any suggestions for hotels in Lahaina? We are not tooo fussy, probably 3 star though.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport and hotel accomodation.

That's a really fast trip!!! You hardly get unpacked and you leave again......!! I don't know your circumstances, but I wouldn't stay less than 5 days in any ONE place.

Yes, the airlines there stay on time or very close to it. You will definitely want a "car hire" as you say, or a rental car, as I say. It's the best way to get around.

If you enjoy being right on the beach, I would recommend a hotel in the Kaanapali area, or Nipili area.

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,761 Reviews
Maui, HI
Phx. Arizona
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transport and hotel accomodation.

You can also look into "speedishuttle.com" if you don't want to rent a car. They will pick you up at the airport and shuttle you to your hotel.

ontario
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transport and hotel accomodation.

We just came back from 10 days in Hawaii, 6 days in Honolulu and 4 days in Maui. We now wish we would have spent more time in Maui, Waikki is just too busy, I didn't even feel like I was on holidays while we were there. The weather and beaches were much better In Maui and everyone was so laid back. It was much more relaxing but with lots to do.

Once landing in Honolulu we took the Airport Waikki Express shuttle service $14.00 round trip per person We arrived at midnight and it took us over 1 hour to reach our hotel as they make many stops along the way. They did not even drop us off at our hotel (Pacific Beach) but a half block down the street, not fun at 1:00 in the morning. During the week we found another shuttle service Rabi Shuttle - the fellas name is Tony and he will do it for $10.00 round trip and take you right from the airport to your hotel and back no stops picking up other passengers. We also hired him for 8 hours to take us all around the whole Island. The Beaches, Banzai Pipeline, Sunset Beach, etc, Dole Plantation. If you wander up that way make sure the stop at a Shrimp Shack. The shrimp are so tasty. They was 11 of us and we were charged $40.00 per person. This was the way to go to see the Island he did the driving and we did the partying....I don't have his phone number but it would be worth your while trying to get it before you leave to arrange to have him pick you up. The Bus and Trolley system is cheap and can take you anywhere. Only problem is if you are staying in Waikki, it is over a 1 hour bus ride to the other side of the Island. If staying in Waikki make sure you stop by Legend's Sports Bar, they have happy hour from 3-8 and make the best Mai Tia we had all week for only $2.50 each. Cheesecake Factory was our favourite restaurant, be prepared to wait over an hour for a table at any restaurant.

We flew Aloha Airlines from Honolulu to Maui - approx 35 min flight, on time and no problems. They fly into the Kahului Airport which is 1 hour away from Lahaina. A shuttle bus to our hotel would have been 57.00 one way and there is no public transportation. We ended up renting a car which was much cheaper as Taxi's are also expensive. We later found out if you fly Island Air they fly into Kapalua -West Maui Airport which is only a 10-15 min drive to Lahaina. Check their luggage policy as I heard it is different then Aloha Airlines.

Stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel - it was alright. Make sure you ask to stay in the new section, our room was fine but our friends rooms in the old section smelt musty and there was mold in the closets. The food in the restaurant was wonderful and we had lots of fun taking the Hula lessons. There is a whole strip of hotels where we stayed but we were told the Kannapali Beach was the best for your dollar.

Hope this helps out

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Banzai Pipeline
Banzai Pipeline
329 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
5,037 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Shrimp Shack
Shrimp Shack
310 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,462 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,761 Reviews
Maui, HI
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: transport and hotel accomodation.

Thank you so much for your information. It does help a lot, and actually confirms mostly what I thought would be the best go. Thanks for the tips for eating etc also.

5. Re: transport and hotel accomodation.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 00:19