We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui hotel

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maui hotel

Hubby and I were planning a trip to Cabo end of Sept. and changed our minds due to recent events going on there and have decided to come to Maui instead. The last two trips have been with the kids and we stayed at Honua Kai. This trip is for hubby's 40th so it's just us.

I'm hoping to get some input on a great place to stay. We're looking for a nice resort that wont have too many kids and has great heated pools with bar service. We like the ocean but really enjoy lounging in the pool with a drink in hand. We really like Lahaina at night so we probably don't want to be too far from that area. I'm thinking either the Hyatt or Westin in Kaanapali would fit the bill. Would love to stay at the Montage but $1000+ a night isn't in our budget.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui hotel

Sept will have less kids but there will always be a few. Do some more research about Montage for lower prices, that is my favorite for what you are seeking. If still too $$$$$$, then MKV (Maui Kaanapali Villas) has a laid back and lush vibe with drinks next to the pool

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui hotel

Ducks' ideas are excellent.....you might also check the Mahana.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,461 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui hotel

Agree with 3 suggestions above!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
353 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui hotel

I would check out the fairly new Andaz resort in Wailea. Seems very nice with few kids. Also the close by Wailea Marriott does not seem to have as many children as the Kaanapali Beach resorts do.

Edited: 16 August 2017, 21:30
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui hotel

We just came back from the Montage and it's exactly what you are looking for, so if you can find a deal and swing it you should. Unfortunately that was my only trip to Maui so I can't suggest less expensive alternatives.

Good luck

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui hotel

Since she specified wanting to be close to Lahaina, I don't think Wailea will work. The Marriott Wailea is also getting more and more popular with families, partially due to the renovations and new pools.

The Montage is def worth it :-).

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui hotel

I'm still having trouble making a decision on a hotel. As much as I would love the Montage it's definitely not in our budget. I guess I'm struggling with this decision because I really want to stay at a resort like the Fairmont or Marriott in Wailea but I just wish isn't wasn't so far from Lahaina.

We really loved having dinner at Merriman's and Honu on Front street. We love the feel of strolling on Front street in the evening. Would the beach bars in Kihei have a similar vibe in the evening? We're only there for 5 nights so maybe there would be enough to do near Wailea that we wouldn't need to go to Lahaina.

So if we stay in the Kaanapali which would be a higher end experience...Hyatt or Westin?

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui hotel

No, I don't think you'll find Kihei anywhere near the same as Lahaina.

I would go with Hyatt, then Westin. Or, I'd look at Honua Kai for a condo :-).

Level Contributor
525 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui hotel

Lisa - I feel the same way you do. Love the relaxed pace of Wailea but miss the restaurants on the west side too much to stay south only. What is your nightly hotel budget? There are ways to get a 4th night free at the Montage. The Hyatt and Westin just don't compare unfortunately.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui hotel

Lisa, I forget-did you check the Ritz?