We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car break-ins at beaches?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car break-ins at beaches?

Does anyone know if there is a problem w break-ins at beaches in the Lahaina, Ka'anapali area? We have read there is an issue w transients at some of the beaches, we were considering renting a convertible so maybe we should re-think? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Ka'anapali Beach
Ka'anapali Beach
7,982 Reviews
Maui, HI
14 replies to this topic
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car break-ins at beaches?

I wish it was only tranients. A convertible is as good as any other car, some might say even safer as if you leave the top down, nobody will bother breaking a window to get in. Just don't leave anything of value in it.

PS: Nobody has ever stolen beach towels, child car seats or the stereo out of Sarge and he's been parked at a lot of beaches. Yeah, my Jeep's a dude. So what?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,518 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car break-ins at beaches?

What Sunny said--and regardless of side, area, beach, etc--*any* car can get broken into.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car break-ins at beaches?

It's a crime of convenience. Leave a nice camera on the seat and it could get taken. It doesn't matter who it is or what type of car it is. Use common sense like you would at home. I don't leave anything of value in my car, I roll up the windows and lock it up, no matter where I am!!

Maui
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car break-ins at beaches?

Use common sense and you should be fine. We use to rent a convertible and never had a problem. When parking at any lot, don't open the trunk and put your purse, etc. in there. Stash stuff in there before hand.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car break-ins at beaches?

Don't leave valuables in the car anywhere. hidden, visible, locked, unlocked. Same advice as anywhere on the planet.

Boise, Idaho
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car break-ins at beaches?

Ducksdelux: I have no idea how to go on vacation and bring nothing of value. I can't believe that's what you mean, so set me straight, please.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,518 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car break-ins at beaches?

Jim, Ducks said *in the car*, and that's what we all rec.

8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car break-ins at beaches?

My jump was locked up with a bag in the back seat up at ghe lookout points. Came back and window was broken. Put stuff in trunk if going out or take it with you.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,831 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car break-ins at beaches?

They know people put "valuable" stuff in the trunk and think its safe.

It's not !

Don't leave anything valuable anywhere in any car at any time.

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car break-ins at beaches?

When we go sightseeing in Maui I tell my family that anything they bring they will have to carry since we will not be leaving anything in the car.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Reply to: Car break-ins at beaches?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted