We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu

1 post
Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu

We're looking at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or the Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolulu-which is better? My husband is laid back & doesn't like a lot of crowds. Maui looks more isolated, are there things to do near the Fairmont?

Edited: 14 January 2018, 03:35
9 replies to this topic
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu

Waikiki is a city. The Hyatt is nice but not a luxury resort from what I remember. Not sure what you want to do but it would make more sense to choose your island and then your hotel. Few poeple come to Hawaii and spend most of their time at a hotel ... There's so much to see.

The Fairmont in Maui is not isolated but it is much quieter than Waikiki. It's an all suite hotel and on a great beach in an upscale resorts area (but at the end of the main area so less crowded.) You will most likely want a car.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,766 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu

Can’t really compare. Totally different islands and areas... what do you want to do in Hawaii?

Yes there is lots to do on Maui. Are you looking to do things on island or stay at the resort?

Edited: 14 January 2018, 04:04
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
3. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu

I think you should pick the island you want first. There are lots of great hotels on both Oahu and Maui. I'd say pick the island first. The Hyatt Waikiki is nice, but pretty much a typical large city hotel (yes, the beach is just across the street,)

the two hotels really don't have much in common.

Nashville, Tennessee
2 posts
4. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu

I have stayed at the Kea Lani on Maui twice. It is a great hotel on the best island in Hawaii. It is expensive but worth it. Oahu is nice also but I would choose Maui.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
91 posts
5. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu

Please tell us 1) where are you from? 2) will you have a car? 3) when are you traveling? 4) how many nights will you be in Hawaii? Please add your hometown to your profile.

Choose your Island first ... then focus on the accommodations. Absolutely.

The Hyatt Regency on Waikiki is a very nice hotel (not a resort - it is only a huge building - no grounds). Great views. Excellent location, but that area is very crowded (and walkable!). Small pool on 3rd floor. Wonderful beach across the street.

The Fairmont on Maui is not in Lahaina. It's in Wailea. And it is not isolated at all. I would stay there any time! The area is definitely not as dense as Waikiki.

If you want plenty to things to see and do in a more concentrated area - you do want Waikiki/Honolulu. Take a look at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.

Again, choose your Island first - and then your accommodations. Have a rough budget in mind. Access to a car makes a huge difference.

Do you have a map of Maui? Oahu? You need them before trying to decide accommodations.

Edited: 14 January 2018, 05:01
Maui
Level Contributor
70,851 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu

(Welcome back, BLBL--still trouble with your TA accounts?)

I agree you need to pick the island first. How did you end up choosing these two hotels? What do you want to see and do in Hawaii? When will you visit, and for how long?

Level Contributor
39,037 posts
1,014 reviews
7. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu

Fairmont! Wailea is our favorite area of Maui. 🌴🌸🏖🍍

California
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu

Fairmont Kea Lani without question.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,706 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu

I highly recommend you decide which island you would like to go to then pick your accommodations. Both islands are wonderful but very different.

Waikiki isn't a city, it's a district (neighborhood) inside the city of Honolulu. Very busy, a melting pot of international visitors.

Maui is much more laid back.

Both hotels are worth staying in!!

Reply to: Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui or Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Honolu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted