We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best sunset dinner?

Dallas Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Best sunset dinner?

I am planning 25th wedding anniversary and will be renewing our vows, after we would like an upscale sunset beach dinner. I know the Four Season's and the Westin have one, any comments. which is best? or any other places? These dinners are very expensive and want to make to right decision.

Thanks!

Chicago
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best sunset dinner?

Well, I haven't been to the Westin, I can only tell you about the Ultimate Romantic Dinner at the Four Seasons. We were celebrating our 10th anniversary. It was an amazing dinner and experience. We met with the chef the evening before to plan our menu based on our food likes and dislikes. I cut the following from my trip report. You can see some pictures of the dinner on my review of the Four Seasons.

The Four Seasons only has one of these dinners a night. The dinner was held in one of the private areas overlooking the beach. It was a terrace with stairs leading down and surrounded by low hedges to give you privacy. They gave us our own special menus with our names the date. They put them in a special folder to take home at the end of the meal. Our personal waiter led us to the table and it was appointed beautifully with linen, china and beautiful stemware. We were served a nice champagne for a sunset toast and our waiter took some photos of us. We took some of our best sunset photos during this dinner. It was spectacular. Our menu consisted of 6 courses: 1) Island Pupu Sampler - Shrimp, Scallops and Lobster tempura, Coconut Fried Shrimp, and Beef and Chicken Satay served with three wonderful sauces for dipping. 2) Fresh Island Greens with fresh strawberries, goat cheese and a homemade Raspberry vineagrette (heavenly salad and the best dressing I have ever tasted). 3) Asian Style Onaga with baby Bok Choy and Shitakke Mushrooms (this was the best fish I have ever tasted. I am not a big fish fan but wanted to try some island fish while we were here. The wasabe and terriake glaze on the Onaga was delicious). 4) Island Sherberts - Papaya, Passion Fruit, Guava and Raspberry (my pick since it is my favorite). 5) I had a Thai Curry Seafood (Soba noodle stir fry, lobster, scallops, Alaskan King Crab legs served with garlic fried rice and my husband had a grilled Kobe steak with jumbo scallops in a thai curry marinade and garlic mashed potatoes. 6) I had a chocolate souffle with creme brulee sauce and vanilla ice cream while my husband had chocolate surprise (lava cake) and tropical fruit that was laid out to look like a flower. The chef paired a different wine with each course. The entire dinner was heavenly and probably the most romantic thing we have ever done. It was a perfect ending to a great vacation and I honestly can't wait to go back!

Hope this helps!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best sunset dinner?

We were on Maui for 9 nights and every night the sunset was obscured by the clouds and haze coming from the Big Island and the volcano but it still made a pretty sunset but not like the ones I'd had remembered prior to Kileuea (sp) becoming active.

Level Contributor
239 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best sunset dinner?

Chimom3, if you check back to this post i'd like to know more about this meal you had. How did you plan for this and about how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking. it sounds wonderful. I'd appreciate anything else you can share with me.

Chicago
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best sunset dinner?

Hawaiimama,

We were staying at the Four Seasons, so planning it was a piece of cake. I don't think you have to be a guest though - I am sure they will take your money regardless. We called the hotel concierge to get information and they emailed a sample menu along with some pictures and the price. I think it is handled through FS catering, though. It costs $750 (including gratuity) for a 5 course (6 if you count the sorbet palate cleansers), each course was paired with a lovely wine and included a sunset champagne toast. It sounds expensive, but my husband spent that much on greens fees when we were in Maui. We just saved for the trip ahead of time and went with the idea we were celebrating and would splurge and enjoy ourselves. We both still think about that dinner and agree it was the best dinner and most romantic thing we have ever done. It was worth every dollar! We actually left with our menus, recipes for our favorite dishes that evening and the wine list. I looked up the wines later at home and they were really nice wines (and pricey).

ottawa
Level Contributor
162 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best sunset dinner?

Hello, my husband and I had our 25th anniversary dinner at Nick's Fishmarket at the Kei Lani Fairmont Resort - I did this by email ahead of time. We had it timed so that we were there before the sun set. Our table was outside on their balcony looking out at the ocean. The service and the restaurant staff were absolutely amazing, so much so that we were treated like kings! This was by far the best meal, service and location that I have ever experienced in my life. You can do a google search for Nick's at Fairmont Kei Lani and I think you can see a virtual tour of the restaurant. I would be curious to know what you think. Cheers.

6. Re: Best sunset dinner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 17:17