We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer Trip Report

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
698 posts
109 reviews
140 helpful votes
First Timer Trip Report

First of all, I want to thank everyone who answered questions and offered advice-it was really helpful.

We arrived from Phoenix at 2:20 on Saturday 9/8- I was really surprised, by 3:00 we had our bags , picked up our rental from Enterprise and were out of the airport! Stopped in Lahaina for water, beer and snacks for the room. Just after 4 we were checked into a beautiful 11th floor ocean view room at The Royal Lahaina. It was perfect timing- 5 o'clock found us unpacked and at the bar for the last hour of happy hour. A mai tai at the main bar and one at the beach bar- had never had one before-so good!Then it was off to dinner at Hula Grill-fun atmosphere,so so food.

Sunday- Breakfast at the hotel and a beach day. Then, the only mistake of the trip. Attended the Luau at the hotel. Take my word, dont...

Monday- Breakfast at the hotel. They have a great deal from 6:30 -7:30- eggs,meat (Portuguese sausage!) and potatoes for $ 9.99. Then off to Kapula Bay. Snorkeled , swam and enjoyed! We then took a drive as far as the Blowhole and really enjoyed it. After that, we walked to Whalers Village for a sunset cruise on the Hula Girl. Beautiful boat, great crew, delicious pu-pus and a small group. Highly recommend. dinner was at Monkey Pod where we both had fish and chips-yum!

Tuesday- we were going to do RTH but with Olivia coming in we called an audible. Went to Iho Valley which, even though it started to pour just as we got to the top of the view point , was one of the highlights of the trip for me.So Beautiful!. We hoped to do a plantation tour we had reserved afterwards but another downpour canceled it. Had lunch at the Mill House which my wife loved but I thought was just okay. Beautiful setting though. We took a ride through Lahaina Town to find our dinner restaurant then back to the hotel for some beach time before "the storm." Went into Lahaina early as we wanted to have a drink at Fleetwood's. But because of the storm, the roof top was close.We ended up at the Lahaina Yacht Club not knowing it was private. But no one was at the bar and we were served and had a great chat with the barkeep.Dinner was at Sale Pepe. amazing, some of the best Italian I have ever had.

Wednesday- Was supposed to be our beach buddies day but it was canceled due to Olivia. Fortunatly, it was rescheduled for Friday.Stayed close to the hotel early in the day-my wife did some damage at the gift shop LOL. Hung around the bar as it was raining and sipped a few mai tais. After the sun came out, we went into town and strolled around a bit. Dinner was just down the way at Castaways. My fish tacos were really good My wife's meal really bad. Kind of an odd place.

Thursday- beach time in the morning then up country. Went to Kulu to check out the lodge and stopped at Surfing Goat Dairy where we got a flight of their cheeses. Good Stuff! Back to the hotel for Happy Hour then dinner at Leilanis where we both really enjoyed the fish tacos.

Friday- Started with breakfast at Nalu's where an old friend of my wife's is the chef. Grerat breakfast and she introduced us to malassadas.. We had them elsewhere but no comparison! Then it was off to the Humane Society to meet our beach buddy. Had a great time, took him to Big Beach for a long walk and a nap in the shade. Such a great program! Dinner was at Star Noodle- delicious!! Nitecap at the hotel with some folks we met from England and off to bed early.

Saturday- Up early for RTH- beautiful drive but rained off and on most of the day. stopped at The Flatbread Company in Paia for a late lunch and a well deserved cold beer. Back for a lst bit of beach time and Happy Hour with our British friends. For dinner we went back to Monkey Pod for fish and chips again- none that good in Tucson. Then it was a final final at the hotel.

Sunday- after breakfast and a quick walk ( we did walk after breakfast every day!) it was time to pack. Stopped at the Humane society to drop off treats,etc. and say goodbye to our buddy. Then off to Hookipa Beach to see the turtles. Our final stop was our anniversary dinner at Mamas. What a first class experience. We completely forgot we were about to fly home.

After that,off to the airport and a red-eye to Phoenix and the end of the best vacation I have ever had-can't wait to get back to beautiful Maui - we already have a to do list for next time!

Bully's Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Surf Dog Maui
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
17 replies to this topic
chicago area
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
1. Re: First Timer Trip Report

Very nice, I'm betting you'll be back!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
16,841 posts
54 reviews
40 helpful votes
2. Re: First Timer Trip Report

Thank you so much for your report... I had to laugh about the luau... we do often advise against that one :)

Thanks for the review of Sale Pepe. We have even had reservations... but I’ve slways canceled because I have a hard time going somewhere without a view while on Maui. We may just have to do it next time.

Your food list has me missing a lot of my favorites!! Thank you for a really informative report!!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
130 reviews
42 helpful votes
3. Re: First Timer Trip Report

Thank you for your trip report.

Glad you had a great Becach Buddies day with HawIiian, I agree a great program

Sale Pepe has been on our list but we didn't make it to the power outage for two days due to Lane

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
15,113 posts
3,458 reviews
4,948 helpful votes
4. Re: First Timer Trip Report

and the end of the best vacation I have ever had-can't wait to get back to beautiful Maui

===

Nearly all of us who have experienced Maui agree with you

Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
5. Re: First Timer Trip Report

Thank you for such a thorough, positive review. We will have our first visit in january 2019 at kanappali beach hotel. Was RTH necessary or pass both have severe motion issues

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
698 posts
109 reviews
140 helpful votes
6. Re: First Timer Trip Report

If you have any motion issues I would probably pass. I loved it as it is a lot like the back roads I learned to drive on along the Northern California coast.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
22 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: First Timer Trip Report

What a great review! We will be staying nearby in November, I took note of the mai-Tais and breakfast!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
330 posts
35 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: First Timer Trip Report

I was really delighted to read you trip report. So many places I can identify with and love, Leilani’s and the Royal Lahaina, the blowhole, making friends over happy hour...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share!

California
Level Contributor
176 posts
95 reviews
41 helpful votes
9. Re: First Timer Trip Report

Great trip report. Nice quick details that make me yearn to be back on island. We are looking into the Beach Buddies program this time around.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,679 posts
10. Re: First Timer Trip Report

Nice trip report! Thanks!

Reply to: First Timer Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted