We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Maui airport to fly into?

Hog Town-TO
Level Contributor
30 posts
Which Maui airport to fly into?

I will be staying in/near Lahaina for my vacation. I have noticed that there are 2 or 3 airports on the island?

I plan on flying in from Honolulu and then flying to the Big Island (Kona) from Maui.

Which airport in Maui will be better suited if I am staying in/near Lahaina? Is there a difference is price/service between Hawaiian Airlines or Aloha airlines?

Milltown, NJ
Level Contributor
206 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Which Maui airport to fly into?

We flew into the airport in west maui (I think it was called Kapalua - JHM) and I would definitely do it again. It is a much smaller airport, but it is much quicker to come and go. When we landed from Honolulu, we walked over to an outside table to retrieve our luggage, no baggage carousel. There is a phone booth that is connected to the car rental agencies, you just push the button for your agency and they are there in 5 minutes. We were at our condo in Napili about 1/2 hr after landing. Very easy and convenient. We flew out of this airport to go to Kauai and that experience was also very pleasant. We were checked in and through security in 10 minutes. No need to go 2 hrs early (though I'd probably still go at least 45min to an hr anyway).

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Which Maui airport to fly into?

If you do fly into JHM (west Maui) then when you fly out to KOA you will not be able to get a direct flight and the flights you can get (that connect in Honolulu) will cost you a lot more.

Other than saving a few minutes drive time to your hotel your best bet would probably be to fly into the big airport (OGG). There are more flights and more car rental options. If you fly into JHM then out OGG (to get a direct flight to Kona) you may have a drop off charge on your rental car.

Price difference between airlines isn't all that much if at all. Just be careful that if you are flying on Aloha for instance but it is in fact a code share with Island Air it will be cheaper to book direct with Island Air.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: Which Maui airport to fly into?

I agree with both previous posts. JHM is a very convenient airport for folks staying on west Maui. Easy to get to from HNL, but you can't get to Kona without going back to HNL. So fly into JHM and out of OGG. We do this often and I have not had to pay a drop fee for the car yet. I don;t recall which car company we have used. Sometimes cars are cheaper in JHM, but usually cheaper in OGG.

You are arriving in JHM on Island Air, no matter who you book the ticket through, and it may be better to book with them directly than on Hawaiian or Aloha. They're having a ridiculous air fare sale right now. Check islandair.com

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Which Maui airport to fly into?

Sorry, just fly into Kahului.. the drive to West Maui. The drive is pretty and you don't have transfer flights.

5. Re: Which Maui airport to fly into?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 05:28