We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SF
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

HI,

A few things. Me and my boyfriend are going to Maui for a 5 day/ 4 night stay. We have a few questions for you experts!

Hotels- Everyone loves the Sheraton, but it looks so boring online! Just a big calm pool, boring rooms, etc. We want to relax, but we want a little fun too. Right now, we are booked at the Westin. The Hyatt looks great too...but it is SO much more expensive. Got the Expedia rate at the Westin for $225/ night and the Hyatt is $350/ night...why so much more expensive if they are comparable? Is the Hyatt worth the extra money? If we go w/ the Westin, which rooms should I request?

Time of Year- We are going over Memorial Day...is it going to be slammed? I'd like to avoid some of the kid craziness!

Transportation from Airport- How should we get from OGG to Kaanipali?

Entertainment- Fun restarants/ bars? Any fun adventures? Not sure about Hana, as car sickness doesn't sound fun.

THANKS!

California
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

It's always slammed in Maui. Especially West Maui. Try South for less crowds. May will have less kids than the summer. Can't help with the hotel issue, not familiar with them, prefer condos. Transportation - you need to rent a car! This isn't SF. Go to adventuremaui.com (or similar companies) to get some ideas of the types of excursions available or just search on here for whatever interests you - surfing, snorkeling, parasailing, zipline, horseback riding, etc. I have the same view of Hana as you do, but many people claim it's worth it.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

Frankly, Maui is not slammed with people in May, even around Memorial Day. You may see more local people spending an extra day at the beach but this is an off season time, perfect time to go. Now, after saying that, Kaanapali will seem more crowded that say Kihei because there are about a dozen resorts on one, albeit large, beach. If you stayed in a condo in South Maui or further north in West Maui, you wouldn't notice any crowds.

I would try the zipline and at least drive up to the Nakalele blowhole. It isn't enough of a drive to cause motion sickness. If you are staying in K-pali, you will likely enjoy the bars there. I hear the Hula Grill has a great bar. Check out some of the reviews for restaurants on T/A so that you can find one with the type of food and atmosphere that suits you both.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
931 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

Just a note...if you want to zipline, you must book NOW...they fill up very fast. I had trouble getting a date in early May when I booked in January!

SF
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

OK, so I think what bothers me about the Sheraton is the lack of trees...I like a lush envioronment. OK, can anyone help me w/ the above questions? I think we'd like to stick to kaanipali!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
708 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

The Westin pool area is more lively and less "boring" than the Sheraton pool area, but that also means more kids. Unfortunately, where the action is at is also where the kids are. That being said, I think you've made a good choice with The Westin. It's right next to the Hula Grill--a really cool barefoot sand bar. The Hyatt is overrated in my opinion and not worth the extra money. The Westin sounds like a good solid choice for what you're looking for.

Agree with the others--you need to rent a car. Even for 4 days, there is so much to see and do and taxis are expensive. You'll probably end up spending less on a rental car than you would on taxi fare all over the island. The hotel itself is a good 45 minute drive from the airport.

Ziplining is a definite must--my boyfriend and I have done it twice already and plan to do it again this May (we are also in our 30s). You also have to check out the town of Lahaina (a 15 minute drive from the Westin) for cool restaurants, bars, etc. It's got a very laid back, fun vibe.

Good luck!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

If you don't want to rent a car then contact SpeediShuttle on Maui, they do have a website (or did last year) and they have a desk just outside the terminal, check in there and they will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel - they will also pick you up at your hotel on day of departure and deliver you to the airport. Not horribly expensive and the suttle buses are comfy Mercedes with AC. I do advise planning earlier pick up time than they might schedule, and check with them the night before you leave or at least the morning of departure date to check road conditions (the road in and out of Lahaina can get shut down due to accidents - we got a bonus day last year because of such)

Between the Sheraton and the Westin - yep, I would choose Westin for the pool!

There are plenty of things you can do right from Kaanapali. Many snorkel excursions pick up right at Whalers Village on the beach. Go parasailing, again they fetch you right there on the beach. Last year at Memorial day there was a big do with the Outrigger Canoe races - a blast!! Check the Kaanapali Resort site for information on what is going on around there.

You can also catch a bus into Lahaina for the day.

Any fun? Hula Grill and Leilani's (my favorite) have live music in the evenings and good food with awesome views. The atmosphere is lively and not too 'wahoo'. Oh and there is The Rusty Harpoon as well - all these are at Whalers Village. There should also be some fun to be had at Westin poolside.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

Another chime in here for the Westin. From your description you will likely be happier with the pool there, and in my opinion, the beach is better there than it is down by the Hyatt. However, do take a stroll one afternoon up to the Sheraton and visit the poolside bar. Hands down the best Rum Runner on the island!

The bars mentioned in previous posts are great, but don't expect a major hopping bar scene. Things are pretty laid back. You might find more 30ish singles at Moose McGillicuddy's in Lahaina.

Hana is an all day adventure. With only 4 nights on the island, I'd pass. You're already in West Maui so drive up to the blowhole instead. In the Ka'anapali area you'll find other activities like parasailing and jet-skis that you might want to take advantage of. Your hotel will have an activities desk that you can book through. There are now several zip line locations, but they all book up very early. Reserve now. The sailing or snorkeling trips are always great. Book a morning outing if you do it as the winds come up later in the day and the ocean is typically more choppy in the afternoon.

As for Luaus, there is one at the Hyatt that is okay (some would suggest it is a reason NOT to stay at the Hyatt). It's a bit touristy with the requisite Don Ho wannabe and watery Mai Tais, but many enjoy it and it is walking distance from the Westin. Down the road in Lahaina is the Old Lahaina Luau, great setting on the beach, authenticly Hawaiian, very nice. It's the prefered Luau for most visitors. Be prepared to drop about $100 and up (each) for most any activity you decide upon.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

We have stayed at both the Westin and the Hyatt and they both are good. For your information there is an ADULT only pool at the Westin right next to a pool bar on an upper level. Great place to hang for the day but get there early to get a chair...I would say by 9am during that time of year.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

Not sure what you mean by "boring." Frankly, all hotels in maui are the same "excitement" wise, unless you are talking about water slides. You arent going to find the night life and excitement you would find on Oahu. Maui is nothing like SF, LA or Vegas so don't expect to be going there to party. Most of the visitors are there just to relax and hang out with the family--yeah, expect lots of kids at most of the resorts.

I've only stayed at the Hyatt. I dont think its worth $125 extra a night as much as I love it.

I have also been there during Memorial day and its actually quite slow. Didn't have to reserve a spot at the pool at 5 a.m., which is my standard as to how busy the island is.

And like everyone else said, you have to rent a car.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A few Maui questions from 2 first time 30 year olds from SF!

I was there over a year ago and actually stayed a couple nights at both the Sheraton and Hyatt. I decided against the Westin based on reviews. I absolutly loved the Sheraton. The location was the best in my opinion. First of all, the location is the best. It is at the end of the strip of hotels so it isn't as crowded as the other hotels. The hotel is also set on top of black rock which is amazing for snorkeling. It was our first time snorkeling and it was amazing!

We also enjoyed our time at the Hyatt. It had more going on, a better pool but the beach was not as good.

Sheraton upgraded our room to ocean front without even us asking, whereas Hyatt did not.

The service at the Sheraton was great, far superior than the Hyatt. Plus the Hyatt charges $15 dollars a day for internet while Sheraton was free.

Though we did not stay at the Westin, what I did not like about it was that it was right in the middle of all the hotels so it was much more crowded. It was right next to the shopping area which made it more crowded too.

Either way though, you can't go wrong, it is all great!