We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with hotel advice

pa
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with hotel advice

I have been spending time on this site. Thanks everyone for great reads. This my issue,I am going to Maui with my wife and young baby. I would love to not spend too much money on a hotel, but at the same time I do not mind spending extra money if I feel I am getting a good deal. Right now I am getting the Ritz for slightly less than staying at the Sheraton Maui. Also, if I opt for the Westin Villas or the Hyattm there is barely a price differece. WHat do i do, In relation to preference, it is my understanding that here are the pros for the Ritz:

New renowations,

Ritz Staff,

10 minutes away from civilization

Cons:

Expensive to eat,

very windy

For the Sheraton, Westin and Hyatt I have been told that it is a more ideal location if you want to walk around to the shops and all, but it will be a zoo.

Please help...

Boston
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with hotel advice

Have you thought about Wailea at all? You can geta garden view room for the same price as the Ritz in one of the higher end hotels down there. The weather is always great and there is shopping and a walkway in front of all the hotels.

It's not a zoo down there usually, except for the summer months and spring break. Check out the specials for the Four Seasons Maui and the Fairmont Kea Lani. We have been getting offers from the FS Maui for a fifth night free and breakfast included. These hotes are expensive, but it evens out some with the freebies. Check out the Garden room rates. I don't recommend the Mountain rooms at the GS because they are right over the self park garage and the recycling bins. (you hear glass breaking all the time) The mountain rooms are also right next to te main road which is noisy.

The Grand Wailea is always a zoo. They have great pools, but it's a real childrens screamfest all day long. You also have to pay a small fortune for some shade at the Grand Wailea.

If you don't mind average, but clean rooms, you could look at the Maui Prince in Makena. It's no frills, but they have great service. They are more remote than the Wailea resorts, (about ten minutes away)but it is nice and quiet with a great beach. They have reasonable prices too. You will need a car to get around.

Boston
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with hotel advice

Sorry, where I typed GS it should read FS (Four Seasons) in the above post.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,272 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with hotel advice

Just a note, they are all within the civilized realm! Ritz and Villas are a bit quieter and less over-run depending on time of year..however the others are also great properties..the Westin Villas is the only condo you mention, as in kitchen to save money on food. All are expensive to eat at...but there are many options outside of the resorts.

Hit the beach, no zoo's allowed!

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with hotel advice

Of the 4 you mentioned, the Westin Villas is the BEST choice with a young baby since you will have your own kitchen, more space, nice beach in front, nice childrens pool, the others are nice but with a baby the Westin Villas will fit you best. Happy travels! Aloha!

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with hotel advice

The Ritz is isolated in comaprison to your other choices and will mean more driving time or expenisve meals. You don't way when you are going, but the Ritz/Kapalua area can be more rainy and windy than the other choices. We love the Sheraton and its proximity to restuarants and entertainment. It is also on a beautiful swimming beachfront. The Hyatt is not in a good spot on the beach for swimming. It is narrow and not as sandy and nice. Westin Villas are north of Black Rock and will also require some driving for restuarant variety, but may have an edge with a baby because of the kitchen situation. The adjacent beach is a good one.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,634 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with hotel advice

Are you set on a hotel? You might look at some resort condos.

When traveling with a baby, you tend to spend more time inside -- while Baby naps or is put to bed early in the evening. You don't feel shut away in one room. At most you can arrange for maid service, daily if you wish. You have more space, two baths, a kitchen, a washer/dryer, a large private lanai.

When do you plan to visit? Is there some reason you prefer West Maui (NW lobe of the island) or would you consider South Maui (SW Coast).

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with hotel advice

Kg -- A zoo? The Hyatt and the Sheraton Maui on Ka'anapali are NOT zoos. The Hyatt is a large convention-type hotel at the south end of the beach.

The Sheraton is spread along the beach to the north, tucked into the side of Black Rock. Very spacious ... easy to find a quiet place. Very quiet at night. The Westin Resort ... yes, a zoo. Quite noisy. Odd room configurations. Hoards of people walking by because they are in the middle of the beach next to Whaler's Village.

The Villas might be good for you with the baby. They run shuttles to the Sheraton/Westin properties south of Black Rock and also to Lahaina.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with hotel advice

Zoo? No way! We have stayed in this area over

Christmas when all of the hotels are sold out and never found it to be a zoo. Ritz is too far away from everything I want to do and the weather much more unpredictable.

Nor-Cal
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with hotel advice

The Fairmont over on the wailea side or the Four Seasons if youn want quiet-you'll pay for it but quiet.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help with hotel advice

When are you going, and what type of activities are you looking to do?

We've stayed in both Ka'anapali and Wailea. We travel with teenagers--Ds prefers the Wailea area, while Dn prefers Ka'anapali/Lahaina because her favorite teeny bopper stores are easily accessible. (Roxy etc..) Dh and I prefer the Wailea area.

Ka'anapali beach and resort area can be quite busy and the beach crowded. We were there late April, which was considered the off season by the resorts, and the beach was a lot more crowded than in other areas of Maui. While snorkeling at Black Rock (Sheraton) we found the water rough and crowded. And of course there is nothing like trying to snorkel while people jump off the rocks :-/. However, if the water isn't rough and you can go further out the snorkeling isn't bad. (though there are areas where you can see much more!)

All that said--wherever you choose to stay will make for a great vacation. Everyone has an area they prefer, but it's hardly going to ruin your vacation if you decide that another area is more appealing than another. You'll just know better for the next trip :-).