We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

Hello, wondering if anybody knows of jobs for 6 Irish students travelling to Maui for the summer. We are staying near Napili Bay resort. We have been informed that Lahaina would be too far to travel to work therefore we were wondering where would be a good location to look?

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

do you need a work permit visa to visit and work in the usa

Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

yep u need a visa, we get J1 visas which allow us to work and live in the US for 3months.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

Lahaina isn't THAT far ... 12 miles, maybe. Do you all have transportation?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

the reality is a lot of students, free spirits and also flakes all want to work the summer in Maui...

For short term jobs dont expect good hours or pay. I would look at the resorts around there.. only 2 and look at dishwashing and bus tables.. But resorts are mainly interested in long term employment

Your J3 visa will stick out.. If you have professional training as a pastry or sous chef line chef, there will be more options. If any have a medical degrees it will be easier too

But Lahina will be 12 miles south and you will need to go there as there may be...maybe.. some small places as a dishwasher... kitchen helper.

expect about $7 an hour tops... less taxes means about $5 net per hour in your pocket

What professional work experience ?training do you have?

Rental car firms at the airport 35 miles away look for car cleaners

I suggest looking at the MAUI times newspaper to read the want ads

You need to have cars here.... there is no public transportation. I suggest you buy one it will be cheaper. You will need to get a Hawaii drivers licence and insurance for a 3 month stay.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

Ah, guys, the students come here with visas. They come every year.

Ash, every summer we get a good amount of your fellow Irish students here on Maui. A few years ago I hired 2 of them for the summer. Your best bet is to just hit the pavement when you get here. Summer is a busy time and there should be jobs, even this year.

The bus runs from Napili to Lahaina and Ka`anapali.

If you want to get a look at what is available, you can go to the mauinews.com and check out the online classified. But most jobs won't be listed--you'll just have to get out and look for Help Wanted signs and ask at places where you think you might want to work. Many restaurants and shops are always hiring because of the high turnover of the young people.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

Gee, Dan, you are so far from reality here. Are things so different on the Big Island than here on Maui?

Every summer we get a bunch of Irish students with work visas. They find work all over the island, in shops, waiting tables, in temp offices positions, in kitchens and any place else where college kids work for the summer.

They do not need a car, and in fact most young people survive just fine here with no car. They certainly do not need a HI license if they want to drive. Their valid Irish or International license will be fine. Insurance is another matter, and I would hardly take advice on that in a forum such as this.It is best to ask and actual insurance professional.

And many resorts rely on a casual labor pool, especially in busy seasons. My daughter works at one of the Wailea resorts as a casual worker, working when it fits her school schedule and making close to $15 an hour when she does work.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,938 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

Great suggestions by "kai". Also, maybe there's some other local pubs (in Maui) that you could search the employ. ads.

I bet you'd all fit in guys iffin' you was working at Moose M's! (Do Irish boys really work anyway? Just kidding Ash!) Best wishes; I'm sure you'll find gainful employment.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

"Mulligans on the Wharf" (restaruant/bar) is owned by an Irish guy - Its in Lahaina. If he doesn't have any openings for employment - he might have some contacts or suggestions for some Irish students. :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

Thank you everyone for your replies, all been very helpful, Roll on Summer 2008:) oh, quick question, what sort of plug sockets are there in Hawai'i?

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jobs for Irish students near Napili Bay

Plug sockets (shape) are the same as the continental United States. The voltage is 110-120AC. Don't know if that is what you were asking.