We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

We are having dificulty deciding between the Hyatt and Westin,in Spetember. Hyatt was original choice but are becoming a little concerned about construction reports and reviews on condition of rooms. We were booking deluxe oceanfront but they sound like they need renovating. Are the rooms at the Westin Superior, any recent reports or views most appreciated.

Huahine, French...
Level Contributor
755 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

The rooms and grounds at the Westin are inferior to that at the Hyatt, especially if you end up in the Ocean Tower at the Westin Maui with its smallish rooms.

I haven't heard of any construction or renovation news re the Hyatt but it could be happening. I'm a Platinum member (highest) with Starwood (Westin, Sheraton, W, St Regis, etc) and a Platinum member (middle tier) with Hyatt, and I would still choose the Hyatt Maui over the Westin Maui (unless one had a killer rate over the other).

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
96 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

I would go with the Westin. The biggest reason is the beach. The Hyatt essentially has no beach.

Additionally, the Westin is closer to Whaler's Village (shops and restaurants) and black rock (snorkeling). The Hyatt is on the far end of Kaanapali, not close to anything.

There are indeed smallish rooms at the Westin. But if you have the deluxe oceanfront room, you will not have a problem.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

Another vote for the Hyatt. There is no comparison. The Westin is an aging facility, very noisy. Pools are stacked in the U-shape -- lots of kids. Food Services are so-so. If you go with the Westin, make sure that you get a large room. Ask for the room dimensions. Most rooms are very small and funny-shaped.

The beach at the Hyatt is not the best ... so walk down the paved beach walk to a nicer part of the beach if you wish. No biggie. The Hyatt is within EASY walking distance to Whaler's Village. The Hyatt is a very large complex. Look for AAA discounts ... some with free breakfast.

If a great beach is what you want -- stay at the Sheraton.

Cleburne, Texas
Level Contributor
401 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

I would stay at the Hyatt. The construction was the new restaurant which is just about to open, so all the major construction is over. The grounds and hotel are really nice. The only part of the beach that is lacking is directly in front of the pool. The beach in front of the Spa Moana is excellent. I've never stayed in a room in need of renovation at the Hyatt.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

I vote for the Sheraton :-)

CA
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

Never stayed at the Hyatt but stayed at the Westin. The room was smallish but was fine and the balcony was nice. My kids 8 and 10 LOVED the pools at the Westin and the pool slide (smaller one) and so did I!!!!!

Best part about the Westin is it is right next door to Whalers Village and the food court and all the great restaurants. It's an easy walk to Black Rock also. They also had various activities throughout the day for the kids like rubber ducky coloring where they get to keep the ducky, candy necklace lei making, canoe making and others. We were actually there on Easter and they had a big easter egg hunt where they hid plastic eggs around the pool complex and inside was candy and one special golden egg where you go a big basket of goodies. After the Westin we stayed at the Sheraton and it was great also. The location of the Sheraton at Black Rock can't be beat.

Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

Less screaming kids at The Hyatt but the beach is better at The Westin. Which is most important to you?

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

Aloha!

I think you will be fine at the Hyatt. The grounds and pools are very pretty. It is a popular place with honeymooners. I would not worry. As someone stated, the new restaurant is about to open, so the construction will likely be done by the time you arrive.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
405 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

We stayed at Hyatt Maui 6th Aug. to the 12th Aug. The construction is still ongoing but looks to be nearly finished. We had an overhead view from our Deluxe Oceanfront room on the 20th floor.

We were never bothered by the construction, they have live music by the pool when the men are working and they are obviously trying to minimise noise.

As for the beach a short stroll down the beachwalk to Whalers Village and you will find shops, restraunt's and the beach is great to swim here. There is also a free Trolley that runs between the hotels and Whalers Village if you don't feel like walking.

As for the Hyatt being all the way down one end we found this to our liking as it was a little quieter than the properties nearer Whalers.

Our room, bathroom area and lanai were not large but perfectly comfortable. Looks like a lot of properties on this strip are of similar age. We loved to eat at Longboard's and the Hula Bar and Grill.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Hyatt or Westin in September?

We were at the Westin three weeks ago. We loved

it. We had a Prem. deluxe ocean front room

in the Beach Tower. The room was beautiful,

nice size and very comfortable (we had three

people). We loved the location, water activities,

amenities etc.

Enjoy your trip!!!