We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm Going Back!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
I'm Going Back!!!

I used to visit Maui twice a year every year...then life got in the way. Now, 10 years later, I'm excitedly returning. Many brain cells have been killed along the way, and I forget SO much, so I'm going to ask a few (?) questions of you all.

First, I'll be there for 2 weeks starting February 10th. I only have 3 nights accomodation booked so far (upon arrival, so I don't have to think too hard, I can just settle in, have a little weep looking at the beauty, sip some wine...). I'm thinking I may "wing it" when I get there for the remaining 11 nights, check around for properties that I can afford that interest me...what do you all think of that? Am I a fool? My husband is game for whatever.

Secondly, if I recall, February is very good "whale watching" season, is this correct? When do they have their babies, does anybody know? And is there a "best" time of day for a tour? I just plain forget.

Thirdly, in the 70's and 80's, even 90's (yes, I'm old now), there were far fewer options regarding whale watching and snorkelling tours. Tell me honestly, are they all similar, or do some stand out?

Forgive me my many questions...I'm so happy, I'm so happy to be going back!!! Thanks for your help.

Ultimate Whale Watch & Snorkel
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Sail Maui
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Hawaii Ocean Rafting
Scuba & Snorkeling, River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Makai Adventures
Private Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Fishing Charters & Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,462 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm Going Back!!!

Yes, Feb. is the peak of whale season. Therefore I wouldn't wing it as far as accommodations are concerned. With the economy the way it is it probably would be easier than in preceeding years. I still wouldn't take that chance. There will still be more visitors on Maui at that time then any other time of the year.

The whales migrate to Maui to mate and have their babies. Maalaea Bay is where you will find a lot of births taking place. Whales abound morning, noon and night.

The best time to take a tour would be during the morning hours. That is due to the tradewinds picking up in the afternoon hours making the sea choppy.

You can take a whale watching tour or combine it with a snorkel tour. Most tours are similar, but some I think stand out are Trilogy or Paragon. The Pacific Whale Foundation boats are nice and have good programs but take way too many people at a time for me. Have a wonderful vacation and happy snorkeling!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm Going Back!!!

Thank you SO much for your prompt reply, it's very appreciated. I'll check into more accomodation for the rest of the stay, just to be on the safe side.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm Going Back!!!

Don't wing it, even though the travel industry has slowed, we just came back and it was as busy as ever. Book your accommodations now, and for the rest, whale watching, snorkle tour etc. that you can wait till you get there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm Going Back!!!

That sounds like the consensus, thanks for the advice. I'm going back to accomodation seeking now!!! And I'll wait until I get there before booking any snorkelling/whale watching.

By the way, I spent a lot of time in Port Moody in the 80's, I lived in English Bay, but my friend lived in Port Moody!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm Going Back!!!

Diamondlover - happy you get to return, much has changed, but the beauty abounds. Love your description of time, etc.

I wouldn't say you are a fool, but I do agree with MsFuzz - don't wait until you arrive to find your lodgings - frankly there a lot of 'last minute' deals out there, but if you wait until you are on island they can charge you 'rack rate' unless you luck out. Busy time of year and I certainly would not risk it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm Going Back!!!

Yup, thanks everyone, I'm checking out accommodations EVERYWHERE on Maui. So far I've got the first 3 nights in Lahaina, I'd rather like to stay longer there (or Kaanapali), but if I end up in Kihei or elsewhere, that's fine too. Sigh, Maui....

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm Going Back!!!

I agree with the others. Pin down your accomodations - and relax. Lots of good options on Ka'anapali. Check CAA rates, if you are a member.

Love Trilogy ... and some trips depart from Ka'anapali.

Congratulations!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm Going Back!!!

Oh, yeah, you were all SO right..I'm struggling with the accomodations available in my price range even at this stage. Again, I reiterate, in my price range - LOL. I think the Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton could squeeze me in - oh wait, they aren't in my price range (and neither is the Sheraton at this late stage of the game!) I'd prefer a kitchenette anyway.

I've noticed if you want to check for a condo in Maui, that's sort of "needle in a haystack", there are a kazillion (most rented, the rest out of my price range again..). Has the whole Island gone condo??

It'll all come together, I know it will.

N.E. Pa.
Level Contributor
161 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm Going Back!!!

HI!

No kitchenette, but, Have you checked out the KBH?

www.kbhmaui.com

Their prices are quite good I think...right on the Kaanapali beach...great snorkling at Black rock!

We also have the Hana Sunrise house reserved, on the east side..

http://www.hanasunrise.com/

Not a whole lot of info on it, but what I have found is all good!..and beautiful views from the house...

We will be in Maui in Sept.09..

It will be our first time and the trip Ive been wanting to make since I was a young girl!..

I hope you have a great time on your's!...

BetsyV.

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm Going Back!!!

I don't thnk it was mentioned yet but be advised. . .

you're planning Valentines & Presidents Day weekend. . .i booked a year ago. We leave the 8th.

If you have 3 nights already that means you're looking to check in somewhere else ON the 14th (Valentines) many places might not have much room.

I'd definitely look to book something before you get there. KBH is having some hot deals but if you want to avoid hotels you should be checking for rentals. Many timeshare and condo owners are having a hard time finding people to rent their units (because resorts are already offering decent rates) so there is some wiggle room to bargin with owners.

I found a WKORVN owner asking $3500 for a week for her 2 bd lockoff oceanview unit and was able to talk them down to $2500 for my family to come for our wedding. . those rooms hold 8.

You might check ebay as well and see if you can find people renting their stuido side for a week (at various locations) make a deal to stay there for a week and then "wing it" for the last 3 or 4 nights elsewhere AFTER the holiday weekend.

Whereever you decide, if you are in the Kaanapali area stop by the WKORVN - my group of 20 will be parting it up. My wedding is the 14th and we're going to the OLL that night but most other nights will be drinks and dinner at the BBQ pit ;)

PS HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP!! (1 month to the day for me)