We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

Going to Hawaii for our honeymoon in late October. Staying 5 nights in Honolulu & 9 nights in Maui. Thought we'd spoil oursleves with accommodation in Maui, however we can't decide between the Sheraton Maui or Westin Maui Resort & Spa.

Most reviews I have read share advice in regard to children and the 'family experience'.

On our honeymoon, we want some luxury, privacy and a great location. We will have a hire car in Maui for the whole duration of our stay.

Also considering upgrading to an ocean view room – is it worth it?

Thanks.

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

for honeymoon the Sheraton definitely. We stayed a week at our timeshare at the Westin Villas (highly recommend because i love the jacuzzi tub, kitchen, wash/dryer, & beautiful grounds) and the 2 nights at the Sheraton after the family left (after our wedding) so basically our honeymoon.

For honeymooners they but us in an deluxe oceanfront room on TOP of blackrock (building 6) and because it is quite far from the pool and lobby i don't think they put families with kids in building 6. We also received a free bottle of bubbly congradulating us on our wedding.

feel free to chk our picks and wedding toast at www.hoeraufmaui2009.shutterfly.com

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

Since most kids in the US are in school in October, the family crowd will be less at that time of year. And of the two you mention, it seems that families tend to gravitate more to the Westin for their pool complex. So my vote for the honeymoon experience would be for the Sheraton. It is a terrific, easy going place with a fantastic beach. And as Swirlz mentioned, the rooms up on the cliffs above Black Rock are arguably the best ocean front view rooms in all of Maui, offering a 180 degree view up and down the coast. Not to mention, the poolside bar serves up the best Rum Runners on the planet :-D

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

I also agree about the Sheraton. Can't say enough good things about it and the staff.

If you want to view a short video that I took while staying there, check out the attached site. This video is the view from our room in building 6, the rooms Swirlz5 mentioned above. If you like things quiet and peacefull, the only noise you'll hear will be from the birds and the ocean!

tripadvisor.com/VideoGallery-g60634-d114075-…

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

Sheraton=Romance

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

Have to agree with all the posters: I found the Westin to be more kid-oriented, probably because of the pool.

The Sheraton is gorgeous, quiet and a great stroll from the Whalers Village.

Our room was not ready upon check in, so because we were willing to "wait" for our room, upgrade to oceanview, building 6. Able to watch torch lighting from our balcony.

Rooms tend to be bigger at the Sheraton as well.

Have a great time!

p.s. love Australia!

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

Thanks to you all for the excellent advice!

I have gone ahead and booked an ocean view room at the Sheraton.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

okay but how far of a walk to get to front street from sheraton black rock? or must we drive

we are looking to go for vow renewals and 10 yr weddng anny.... I know its a ways off but I am so excited,,, hurry april 2010..

mahalo

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

OneLove ... where are you staying?

There is a shuttle from Lahaina to the Sheraton - you can take that. Are you staying on Front Street?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

not sure -- we are destined to be waiting -- as we are 12 months 2 weeks out from the milestone 10 year anny we cant even make somebookings yet -- we are hoping to get lots of help from TA and nice people like yourself... we were going to elope 9 years ago when we got married to hawaii... it was after mother said to me "I wont see you get married" that we changed up all the plans and decded to wait for hawaii -- i will wait no more... :)

we want to stay at a great resort on kaanapali with all the amenities and romance as possible -- I do not have children and really do not want to be at a resort where children are running screaming and well just being children...( I love kids just not used to them) I have been researching for days on and off and am sure I will continue but we will not be able to book till 8-9 months out duye to air and seeing what specials are available at that time...

Thanx Blbl

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin Maui Resort versus Sheraton Maui for honeymooners

You cannot walk from the Sheraton to Lahaina town center. There is, however a regualr shuttle that runs from the Sheraton to Lahaina and picks up about every 20-30 minutes.

That said, I hope you are including a rental car in your budget. There is so much to do and see and you really need a car to get around. And Lahaina is an easy 5 minute drive from the Sheraton.