We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which company for Haleakala Downhill Tour?

Franklin...
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which company for Haleakala Downhill Tour?

We are tentative about booking the Haleakala Downhill Bike Tour as we have heard a bunch of negative reviews...however we also hear from our friend that this is a 'must do.' Anyhow, if we go ahead and do it, which company is best?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,684 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which company for Haleakala Downhill Tour?

Aloha,

If your friend did it a few years ago, sorry--but it's a whole 'nother animal now. No more biking in the Park...they van you up, and sometimes they can't even go all the way to the top because of permit issues/limits.

Make very sure you know what you're getting on this nowdays!

I think you can have far more fun-and safety too-driving yourselves. You then have far more freedom to explore and do what/how long/how much or little--that YOU want.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which company for Haleakala Downhill Tour?

I agree with swmarket. Just drive it. That would be a pretty intense bike ride down that volcano. If you are an experienced bike rider than maybe you won't have a problem. After driving, which is an awesome experience, I wouldn't ride a bike down that volcano. One tip, don' t get fixed on the view coming down, you may end up somewhere you hadn't plan to.....a lot of hair pin turns and steep if you get my drift.

san diego
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which company for Haleakala Downhill Tour?

Don't use Haleakala Downhill!! We booked with this agency In August, 2009, and had a very negative experience. Although their ad claimed they offered Gary Fisher bikes when we arrived for our outing the bikes they offered were old and trashed. The helmets were nasty, too, and all they offered by way of hygeine measures was a can of Lysol. The guide was not particularly entertaining and less than subtle about solicitong tips. On the ride my husbands chain kept falling off as the derailer was bent and we had to wait on the side of the road for thenm to bring a replacement bike. Upon our return, we complained about the condition of the equipment as being less than advertised, and received nothing but attitude from the manager, Lewis Upfold, who claimed to be the owner. We later learned this was untrue, but found the actual owner of the business to be equally unresponsive.

4. Re: Which company for Haleakala Downhill Tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2010, 06:17