We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

I looked at booking a $195/nt condo in Honokawai for 4 nights, and was told the "cleaning fee" was $165. This seems like a lot. Is this universal, and if so, what's reasonable? Thanks so much for your help!

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

I can't say that "all" condos charge a cleaning fee, but the vast majority I have seen do. $165 is a bit higher than I usually see. Most often I see the fees being somewhere around $100 - 125. Perhaps you could communicate your thought about the cleaning fee being a bit high with the owner and see if they would be willing to adjust it a bit. They may or may not be able to, but it wouldn't hurt anything to ask.

Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

All of the condos I have stayed in charge a cleaning fee. I think $165 seems a bit high though. Sometimes the cleaning fee is waved if you stay for an extended period. I think I would communicate your thoughts to the owner or I would find another place to rent.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

In my search for a condo, I found that a lot of condo rentals charge a cleaning fee if you stay less than 7 nights and it is waived for stays 7 nights or longer. That cleaning fee does seem a bit high for 4 nights, the norm I have been seeing is $125/stay. Where are you staying in Honokawai? We are booked at the Papakea Feb 13-20...Can't wait!

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

165.00 seem totally unreasonable --------------ive checked out various sites and i dont know if i have ever seen one over 75.00

i guess i am lucky becasue hph does not charge a cleaning fee

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

The condo has to be cleaned. You'll pay for it separately or it will be rolled into the rate per night. I'd inquire what the cleaning fee is for stays of 7+ nights. If it is less, why should the four-night guest pay more for the cleaner? For that matter, why should the four night guest pay more per night if the rate doesn't include the cleaner and other fees?

These add-on's really irk me. There can be cleaning fee, resort fee, parking fee, fee for broadband, fee to use the safe, booking fee, yada-yada-yada. If a condo has daily maid service -- or any maid service during your stay -- that will be built into the rate too, regardless of whether you need or want it.

Always, always look at the bottom line, not just the rate per night, and don't forget the taxes, which rise to 13.42% in July.

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

Aloha,

Oftentimes the cleaning fee charge is in proportion to the size of the condo and also the number of times you receive maid service. For instance, when we stay in a small 611 sf condo in Kahana our cleaning fee is $90.00 for the one time checkout cleaning. When we stay at a larger 1,200 sf condo in Kapalua our one time check out cleaning fee is $135.00. I think for all the hard work and the cost of washing and drying all the linens etc. these are reasonable rates. If we request additional maid service then additional charges are added. It doesn't matter if you stay 2 nights or 22 nights the maids have the same amount of work to prepare the unit for the next guests.

I agree though if you are in a small one bedroom unit and the charge is for one time checkout cleaning fee that $165.00 does seem high. Talk to the owner or management company and see if they are willing to reduce the charge, in this economy most owners and management companies are willing to negotiate.

antioch
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

i could see 165.00 for 4 days if they were doing all the towels and linens by hand on a rock by the ocean,scrubbing the floors with a toothbrush. even a 100.00 seems high but more and more common on stays of less than a week.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

Thank you all so much. I have emailed my attempt at negotiation back to the agent and will let you all know what happens! Glad to know it's not just me. $165 is outrageous!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

I agree with ChiSue. I always ask for a breakdown by night, and then a full total, and the taxes and fees. I want full disclosure up front before I sign what it will cost me.

there are many many available condos, plenty of negotiation room. I wouldn't pay a 165.00 cleaning fee, and yes I know it probably would just be built into the rate, but if the rate were more per night than the other condos in the same complex, I would just stay elsewhere. They have to be more competitive now in this economy.

I would pay more for a view, or a condo on a higher floor (I don't care for ground floor for privacy reasons) - extra amenities or a newer remodel get more bucks from me. But that high of a cleaning fee? no way!

keep looking unless the rate per night brings the total down to a competitive price. Plenty to choose from.

vancouver
Level Contributor
182 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: do all condo rentals charge a cleaning fee?

I always ask the Owner/Rental agent to waive the cleaning fees. Most often than not, they do.