We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kahana Sunset Condo's

Minnesota
1 post
Save Topic
Kahana Sunset Condo's

We are going to Maui and are thinking about staying there. Does anyone know anything about them?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kahana Sunset Condo's

Yes, we stayed there for ten years every time we went to Maui as a family. I would strongly recommend staying in Building A or F, one of the ocean front ones. It is worth the extra money. Our family often rented several units, and the years that my husband and I had the smaller units in the other buildings were our less happy ones there! Those can tend to feel a little dark and closed in, we felt. We especially loved the sound of the waves splashing outside of our bedroom and the living room in those front units. That's what seems unique about the Kahana Sunset. You can feel like you are hanging right over the water and are not staying in a big hotel.

The layout of the units is nice. Two stories with two bedrooms and two baths up and a living room with pullout sofa and kitchen and bath down. The lanai on the front of both levels is wonderful. The one drawback is that neighbors can walk between the units on the lanais. Hopefully, they are respectful of one another and do not.

The guests at Kahana Sunset have always been very nice. We tended to grill our dinners outside on their community grills, and we met nice families each time. The management always had a weekly cocktail party and hula show while we were guests. That was a nice touch.

The beach is beautiful and safe for kids and big enough for swimmers to enjoy. There is a nice pool as well.

The location is great, close enough to Kapalua and to Lahaina for whatever anyone wants to do besides relax at the condo site.

Eventually we purchased a home down the road, so we don't stay there any more, but we stil think it's the best condo in the area for families.

A-1 is the best unit of all if you can get it!

canada
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kahana Sunset Condo's

A question for Momtofour. I am planning a trip to Maui and have booked a 1 bedroom at the Kahana Sunset in Building E. Unfortunately the oceanfront buildings were all booked for the time I needed. Can you tell me anything about Building E. We are renting a private unit and the pictures we were sent looked quite nice. We are two adults travelling with a six year old and would appreciate any information you can offer.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kahana Sunset Condo's

I am over on Maui now, and I wish I could remember the layout of the buildings! If I talk to someone this morning who knows, I will respond again. I cannot find anything on the Web that shows a map of the layout of the buildings. I'm sure the one you have will be fine. The property is large, so your child will have plenty of room to go outside to play. The pool is great, and that will be fun as well as the fantastic, SAFE beach with plenty of white sand to dig and run and play where you should be able to relax a little too. I don't think there's a better beach that has only one property on it on the island. You will be happy with it, I think! There is also a public area under A-1 with tables and chairs where you can sit and eat or read that is covered, and the waves crash just outside. It has a wrap around lanai, so you can enjoy that as much as you like, I think, if you want to have that "ocean front" experience as well. On Maui, you don't spend much time indoors anyway, so the location of the unit is probably not very important. I think/hope you will enjoy the Kahana Sunset. As I mentioned, it was our family's favorite. And we kept coming back.

canada
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kahana Sunset Condo's

message for momtofour - thanks so much for all your helpful advice. We are very much looking forward to our first trip to Maui in February.