We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

back from maui - shark rumours?

British Columbia
Level Contributor
331 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
back from maui - shark rumours?

we just got back from a beautiful 12 day stay in maui, we had great vacation but did hear of a shark attack on kaanapali beach - others said there was a sighting of a tiger shark and beach was closed for a while, but there doesn't seem anything confirming any of this in the news online. Does anyone know the truth?

PS - if you want a great place to stay - Outrigger Aina Nalu in lahaina is it!!

Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: back from maui - shark rumours?

Any shark bite will be in the newspaper & searchable on the internet. There hasn't been a recent bite.

County of Maui Ocean Safety will close beaches for 1 mile in each direction when there is a tiger shark sighting. Not uncommon at all.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,037 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: back from maui - shark rumours?

This is the only one I've read about on Maui recently. But it is nowhere near Kaanapali.

honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article…

California
Level Contributor
7,580 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: back from maui - shark rumours?

At any given time in Hawaii (or almost any ocean) there is a shark within a short distance of you. 99% of the time you won't see it or be bothered by it. I think most of us just don't worry about it that much.

Pierson, Manitoba
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: back from maui - shark rumours?

We were staying near there and there was not a shark bite although they were not ruling out the possibility. A young man 20 years old from Kelowna BC went missing while snorkeling, they searched for 3 days but never found him. Original report says he was snorkeling alone about 90 yards off the beach. Other reports say he was snorkeling with his girlfriends father and brother, the father supposedly got pulled by the current but managed to make it back in, the young man did not. This happened on Feb 18th, not sure but this is likely the situation you heard rumors about.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
331 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: back from maui - shark rumours?

Interesting. i will have to look back in our local papers, Kelowna is an hour north of where i live.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,100 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: back from maui - shark rumours?

As my son says...there is almost ALWAYS a shark near you in the water...your job is to refrain from looking like dinner! And by the way if someone tells you they are getting out to report a shark sighting...don't blow them off and get in the water anyway!!!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
331 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: back from maui - shark rumours?

this is a link for a missing Kelowna man, from our local paper, i assume this is the incident. Sad for the family.

castanet.net/news/Kelowna/52820/Kelowna-man-…

Maui
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: back from maui - shark rumours?

I agree with your son mamma0233, the ocean is home to the sharks and many other interesting creatures. Just have respect and be aware at all times.

Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: back from maui - shark rumours?

Anyone who understands the reef also understands the presence of sharks...

The test for sharks in the water is to stick your finger in the water, then to your tongue, if it tastes like salt...there are sharks in the water!

So what... that's their home and they play a vital role in the eco-system.

Now about the "snorkeler" that was lost. Very sad for his family. That said, they were 200 yards out into the ocean "snorkeling"...or were they trying to swim with the whales??? 200 yards out is not a depth at which most people snorkel! It is WAY too deep. There are many reasons not to snorkel with the whales, this is one of them.

There is NO indication of a shark attack in this disappearance.

Edited: 04 March 2010, 05:53
lahaina, hi
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: back from maui - shark rumours?

Haha, I like the test to see if sharks are present. There was no shark attack, simply a sighting of 2 tiger sharks and they got people out of the water as a precaution. 2 tiger sharks were sighted a couple months ago in Honolua Bay and they did the same thing- got people out and there were no attacks.