We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the timeshare presentation for the Westin Beach Resort...

Level Contributor
226 posts
283 reviews
Save Topic
Is the timeshare presentation for the Westin Beach Resort...

I read somewhere on this board that it depends on the state you live in as to whether they can require you sit through the 90 minute timeshare sales presentation when you take advantage of the invitations received for deals at vacation ownership properties.

Is this true?? Is CA one of these states??

The deal was too good to pass up & I am prepared to pay the penance.................but I would love not to have waste the time if the law is my side.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the timeshare presentation for the Westin Beach Resort...

It depends on the deal that was offered. I always inquire when sent one of these offers and ask if there are stipulations. Usually, they are not mandatory, but if you go they will add on additional incentives/goodies. Also, plan on that 90 minute presentation taking 120-150 minutes.

Portland
Level Contributor
120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the timeshare presentation for the Westin Beach Resort...

If you try and skip out on one of the presentations, you'll be hounded with phone calls for the duration of your stay. I don't think the "I live in California and I'm therefore not required to listen to your pitch" excuse will go over too well. Better to just bite the bullet and delight in your freebies. You could always do the ever-popular fake life-or-death phone call ("what's that, dad? Grandma's fallen and she can't get up? Oh no!").

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the timeshare presentation for the Westin Beach Resort...

Here's the deal:

If you pay the regular rate at the Westin ($250+ per night) you don't have to put up with any b.s. from the timeshare people.

However, if you agree to take SPG vacation offer, i.e. $749 for 5 nights at Westin or Sheraton, YOU MUST attend the presentation or you will be charged full rack rate for your rooms. That's the deal you agreed to.

Any questions?

Level Contributor
226 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the timeshare presentation for the Westin Beach Resort...

A post script to my first posting if anyone cares.

Yes, we sat through the presentation and believe it or not........we were so impressed, we even bought a unit!

Because we travel so much, we must be on a list somewhere because we get offers such as these in the mail almost weekly. This is the 4th presentation we've been to over the years (primarily because they came with good travel deals) and this is the first one we've ever even considered purchasing.

We are in the financial services industry and honestly, when doing the math, never thought it was it was a wise investment. But I think the Westin has an edge with their connection to Starwood and has ironed out many of the kinks. We started to think of it as a commitment to our future travel rather than a real estate or financial windfall investment. Dollar for dollar, at the moment, it's a wash. But if it encourages us to take more, high caliber trips (Westin, St. Regis, W, Le Meridien, Luxury Collection Hotels, etc.) in the years to come, we'll be ahead of the game.

We were pleasantly surprised and impressed with the Westin Kaanapali Villas Beach Resort (I've posted a review) but ultimately, we will probably use the program all over the world more, rather than return to the Maui resort more than a few times.

Level Contributor
226 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the timeshare presentation for the Westin Beach Resort...

One more thing to add......

This was the LEAST pressure sales presentation of this kind that we have attended. After our early morning meeting, our rep. invited us to go sit on the beach to discuss it, consider our options and get back to him by the days end.

The experience was professional and respectful ...and I would have said this even if we would have decided to decline.

Hercules, California
Level Contributor
283 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the timeshare presentation for the Westin Beach Resort...

Welcome to the SVO family...wait til they try to get you to become an Elite member. The primary advantage will be that you can sell your weeks every year rather than every other year. We rotate regularly between Maui, Bahamas, St. John, and Orlando, we get great value, and if we ever sell our week, we get SPG points.