We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Time to Leave for Hana Drive/Groceries??

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What Time to Leave for Hana Drive/Groceries??

We are staying in Hana for 3 nights and have heard that massive people make the trek around 8am daily. If we are not trying to rush there and turn around, what time would be best to drive there, without the crowds and traffic?

Also, if staying overnight, what would you recommend buy at the store before the drive? Not sure if we will have an ice chest! Our place will have a kitchen once we arrive in Hana.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What Time to Leave for Hana Drive/Groceries??

Thanks you two! Lahaina Family Dad, thanks for the extra tips. We will be doing Hana at the end of our trip cause we already paid for the cottage there- you have to secure it early. We will be sleeping in Hana for 3 nights and will go all the way around the road instead of back the same way. Some of the pictures of Kaupo are so pretty. I have the Maui Revealed book and it has been helpful, but still wanted to ask about leaving time so 7am seems feasible. Which stops on the way to Hana are "the best?" I know he says in the book to skip Twin Falls.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What Time to Leave for Hana Drive/Groceries??

Hello HerbalGirl:

I am not trying to promote anything, but the link I referred to in the earlier post had details on locations we liked on the way to Hana (I cannot pronounce the Hawaiian names!), but the place (we use mile markers from the Maui Revealed book) where we got banana bread and stayed for an hour at the beach was great.

I think the important part is to start early, and not to take too long at the earlier falls, because they get better as you go along. And the fun part is, there are lots of good falls and vistas, and if you beat the crowd (if there is one), you can stop at your own pace, when you see a falls that you like.

Two caveats:

1. Depending on recent rainfalls (as recent as that morning!), some falls will have a large flow, and some will have a small flow. So, if you see one that looks good at the time you are passing by, stop and enjoy.

2. It may be raining early in the morning, and the rain comes and goes. So, you may decide to pass on some lovely overlook or falls because you have to go through the rain to get there (happens to us every time). Since there are so many nice locations, you will still have some good stops, even if you pass on one that someone else stated as their favorite (because they happened to get there when it wasn't raining).

And on the trip from Hana back around Haleakala, be sure to pay attention to the Maui Revealed book. It lists several places that may just take 15 minutes or so (such as a beach that is all round grey rocks, and makes a very strange sound as the waves moves over them), but are beautiful. And we have some stunning shots of our daughters with Haleakala in the background where we just stopped by the side of the road, and they stould by some giant boulders.

Lahaina Dad

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What Time to Leave for Hana Drive/Groceries??

Lahaina Dad,

You have great tips! I am glad that you warned me about the rain. I glanced at your website, but will take time to read it now that I am done w/holiday distractions.