We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

ok so i'm staying at kbh so was tossing between sheraton luau or old hahaina luau and with a recommendation from a friend and researching on TA, i've made up my mind and will be going to old lahaina luau.

We'll be going in november so the time will be from 5:15 to 8:15pm. A question regarding the drinks, i think i'll be drinking or attempting to drink as much as I can since you've paid for it anyway so is this fine, i mean they will get you any drink you want? also we will be catching the bus at 8:45 from the shopping center back to whalers village - does this sound ok? i don't want to drive while under the influence of alcohol :)

Tipping - look i'm from aus and i've taken a long time saving up for a trip and don't want to always be tipping whilst in hawaii. will they show umm disrespect if you don't tip, i mean its their job to serve you and the price of the laua is like nearly 100USD already which is pretty expensive - sorry i know its probably a sensitive topic which i'd though i'd get some feedback/recent experiences from there.

thanks all]

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

It is a sensitive subject, and many Aussies are confused with it all.

You tip for good service. It doesn't matter what restaurant you go to, if you get good service you tip. Places like McDonalds you don't, as it's a take out (takeaway).

You should look at the tipping in the information section.

It won't hurt your budget, but its a way of life in the US .. you tip the cabbie (15%), you tip the bell boy, per bag .. and you tip the room maid - preferably on a daily basis, as they change staff.

Restaurants at 15% ... waiters don't get paid what they get in Australia, and you will find food much cheaper in the US (a little bit more in Hawaii, due to transportation costs) ... so what you save on food, can go to tipping.

You will still have a great time.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

They have a varied menu of drinks, and they will bring whatever you want. Our server was great, and I handed him a cash tip at tne end of the night.

Saratoga, CA
Level Contributor
654 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

Well said Eaglemaniac. I'm glad it initially came from a fellow Aussie...LOL

Waiters (and most service employees) typically get paid minimum wage, as it is assumed that if they give good service, most of their income will come from tips. If not for tipping, the employers would have to pay higher wages to attract good employees. That cost would then have to be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher menu prices. Unfortunately, as an end user, your out of pocket costs would be the same, however there would be no incentive to provide you with good service you expect.

If you receive good service, show the wait person you appreciate it.

Curt

Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
394 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

American waiters, by law, are paid a lower minimum wage than other workers because it is assumed they will be tipped. It is very different from Europe. They usually have to share tips with other employees who do not pick up tips, such as busboys. And they have side work obligations that do not get tipped. 15% to 20% should be tipped if the service is adequate. Not stellar; adequate. Especially in Hawaii, these are mostly people working very hard just to get by at a minimal level of comfort and stability, who probably could not dream of traveling to Australia and enjoying an equivalent experience there, no matter how hard they work and save. It is weird that they depend upon what would seem to be the generosity of customers for their basic livelihood, but that's how it works here. If you cannot afford to drop $120 when the official tab is $100 in a restaurant, then you cannot afford that restaurant. Go somewhere that's $40 for your tab and expect to plunk down $48. Please don't try to cut yourself a break at the expense of a working person (usually a subsistence-level working person) who has no choice but to spend their work time on you.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

When traveling to a foreign country it is best to follow that country's customs the best you can. Like others have said, the servers depend on their tips for their lively hood. If you get good to excellent service, you should tip. If you get very poor service, don't. That is the custom here. I'm with waterenthusiasts, if you can't afford the 120.00 dollars, you can't afford to be there.

Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
394 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

In cases of bad service, it is customary to speak to the manager, instead of just stiffing the help. I had bad service in a restaurant recently and spoke up. It was not the waitress' fault. There was a problem in the kitchen. I gave her a normal tip, and the manager attempted to make it right on the restaurant's behalf by giving us a gift card for our next visit. Many Hawaiian jobs are in the low-paying hospitality industry, and Hawaiian dwellings are crazy expensive because wealthy non-islanders are bidding against the residents for space. Many working people -- families -- spend their nights in tents or cars. They don't have it easy.

canada
Level Contributor
686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

Since most people here will suggest to you what should be protocol, I'll suggest the opposite and answer your question directly! It's your money to save and to spend, so do with it what feels right to you. There should be no guilt or shame involved if you choose not to tip and no-one here should judge you for it!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

ok thanks all, will be taking the tipping into consideration.

just to get some replies from the drinks, do people normally drive there or bus to old lahaina? i certainly like the idea of all u can drink :)

and with our plan to catch the bus, does this sound ok?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

Oh wessie! But you will be judged and if you stiff a waiter I would suggest you never go back to that place again. My son worked his way through college as a server. You really don't want to hear the horror stories. If wait staff is getting minimum wage it's unusual...it's usually lower. And minimum wage can't touch the cost of living on the islands! Management expects tips to make up the difference and as stated those tips are split with others, busboys, runners etc. I am well aware that customs are different in other countries, however this really is a case of "when in Rome do as the Romans do"! I'm sorry but Canadians and Aussies have a horrible reputation for being non-tippers and extremely demanding as well, if your service is slow it may well be beause the staff is fighting over who "has to take that table".

Of course there are bad waiters....as stated, talk to the manager!

To the OP you will have great service at the OLL....let them know you appreciate it!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Lahaina Luau and their drinks & tipping

Wessie, It's easy for someone from another country to say go ahead, it's your money, do with it what you want!! It's a whole different ball game when you come to our country and want the benefits, but not the customs that come with them. I would be so embarrassed in another country if I acted like an "Ugly American"!! You may not agree with our customs, that is your choice but to just dismiss them, well, perhaps staying home would be a good choice!! Like momma said, you will be judged. If you get a good meal and service and don't tip, they will think something is wrong, or just chalk it up to another Aussie and believe me, you don't want that!! We love all the Canadians and Aussie's here in the islands and I would venture to guess, 95% give good tips for good service and meals!!