We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of Day to Whale Watch

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of Day to Whale Watch

Wondering what time to schedule a tour?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,399 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of Day to Whale Watch

Aloha,

For every person who says "morning", there's another who will say "late afternoon", and then another who will say "midday", LOL!

I like morning WW's or a sunset cruise-like the cats from Kaanapali. Midday will often have rougher water.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of Day to Whale Watch

If you are going out on a boat tour, the best time is early morning. The wind and waves pick up later in the morning/afternoon hours, which could make for a rocky ride!! The whales will be there 24/7 so their behavior will have nothing to do with the timing.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of Day to Whale Watch

Thanks for the replys.

Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of Day to Whale Watch

We just went on a WW yesterday with Gemini leaving from the Westin, it was an 8am tour we were very lucky as the waters were very calm, and we got a fabulous show...so I vote morning....:o)

CHeers

MArjorie

Colorado
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of Day to Whale Watch

Is it chilly on the water at 8:00 am? How long is the tour?

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of Day to Whale Watch

I agree with the other posters. Time of day doesn't seem to impact the level of activity of the whales. But, mornings tend to be calmer water and less wind which makes for a more enjoyable outing on the water for us.

We recently went out with Trilogy on a mid-morning whale watch that left from Ka'anapali beach. Fabulous fun! That crew said they have come to believe the whales are much more active at the surface during rainy, blustery weather. And from my own limited experience, I would have to agree it seems they frolick more when humans prefer to be indoors.

So, the lesson to me is next time I will be less worried about the weather being best for my comfort. I'll batten down the hatches (is that the term?) and hope for blustery weather and an even more wonderful adventure watching whales frolick up close and personal. ; )

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,399 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of Day to Whale Watch

Aloha,

The whale watches are generally 2 hours long. I'd bring a light sweater or windbreaker, just in case you get chilled--it may not be a problem, but better to have and not need!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of Day to Whale Watch

I agree that mornings are better. The water is generally calmer and the winds won't have picked up as much.

I'm usually good with a light jacket, tee, and shorts or lightweight capris. But then, we're usually coming from near zero temps/wind chill, so mid-60s seems downright balmy!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time of Day to Whale Watch

Take a windbreaker or sweatshirt ... something with a hood if your ears are sensitive.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time of Day to Whale Watch

First post--but confess I've been lurking for several months. I'm afraid whale-talk is enough to bring me out. DH and I have scheduled our first trip to Maui for Feb. 15-23 (dubbed "Maui Whale Watch 2011"!!). We have accomodations, car and "arrival day" game plan locked down (thanks to great advice here), and are now looking at whale watching boat tours. We plan to do several tours during the week--don't mind if we use the same operator or try different ones--whatever works. Early morning is great for us, so we may be out every day enjoying the early bird rates. Hope this isn't a crazy question, but--after the winds start building up and the water getting choppier, does it calm back down in the afternoon or around sunset? I know, I know--if anyone could predict one way or the other they would be rich and famous--but just asking as a general rule . . . please and thanks!!