We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lahaina shores maui?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
10 posts
Save Topic
lahaina shores maui?

Hi, has anyone ever stayed at Lahania Shores in Maui? Would love your input. Looking to go late in April.

Vacaville, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: lahaina shores maui?

We stayed there 3 years ago in April. Absolutely loved it! The location is within walking distance of anything one would want to do in Lahaina. You would want an ocean front room; the view is stunning. You would be heartbroken if you rented a mountain view room and then realized what you could have had! Also, the sound of the waves at night is very, very relaxing. Would recommendgetting a room at least 4 floors up. The mountain view rooms face the parking lot. There isn't much of a beach to speak of but you can get cooled off in the water and even snorkel a little. You are right next door to the Feast of Le Le (spell?) We watched the show at night right off our balcony (lanai?). Also very good restaurant next door (Pacific O's - spell?)as well as convenience market, art gallery, ice cream, etc.

Location and view are the best attributes of Lahaina Shores. The rooms are individually owned so can vary in decor Do not expect luxury but you can expect cleanliness and comfort. The employees are very helpful should your room be lacking something (e.g., larger cofee pot). We stayed in Napili last year and whenever we went out on the water from Lahaina, I would see Lahaina Shores from the boat and felt homesick. The "Shores" are at the quiet end of Front St. so it seemed more like "going home" at end of a long evening.

10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: lahaina shores maui?

vacagirl,

Thanks so much for your reply. I have 2 more questions.Do they have a place to do laundry there & is there a place to BBQ? Thanks again for your help.

Vacaville, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: lahaina shores maui?

Wanatravel,

I'm not sure about laundry facilites; we didn't need to wash clothes but it seems to me they had washer/dryer in an alcove on floor we stayed on. You might want to give them a call. Also not sure about barbeques but check out latest contributions re Lahaina Shores on this site because I think I read somewhere that they now have barbeques. They did not when we stayed there.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lahaina shores maui?

The Lahaina Shores is a moderate (at best) property with a very poor non-swimable beach and a small ordinary pool. The ocean front rooms have a spectacular view but no better than dozens of other properties in West Maui. I personally wouoldn't go to Maui and stay in a town as opposed to staying at a resort on a beach (such as Kaanapali which is only three miles from Lahaina). Apparently very few people want to stay in Lahaina as there are very few accomodations there.

Seattle
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: lahaina shores maui?

I would disagree w/Bud - the beach appears to be swimable, but no it's not the best. I don't go to Maui to sit on the same beach in front of my resort every day, so that's why we're chosing Lahaina Shores. We'll drive to a different beach every day to see as much of Maui as possible. Then it's nice to be close to the restaurants and nightlife when it's time to go home every night.

seattle
Level Contributor
256 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lahaina shores maui?

I stayed at Lahaina shores in Oct. for a few days before we moved to our condo on Kaanappali. Each floor has a nice big laundry room with 3 or 4 washers and dryers. I have stayed there one other time. Both times we had ocean front studio rooms. They aren't huge but they were nice, clean and had what we needed. I would try and get a one bedroom next time, just to have a little extra room. The view is the best! If you have kids that go to sleep early it might not work since there is a luau next door each night that is kind of loud but fun to watch from your own balcony. The pool isn't huge like some of the resorts but I am more into the sunbathing part and really only use the pool to cool off. There is a big grassy area and plenty of lounge chairs. We really enjoy being able to walk to town for shopping or dinner and drinks and not have to worry about parking or driving home. Have fun, you will love it!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: lahaina shores maui?

Sunnydaz, you said the beach "appears" to be swimmable so I assume that you haven't actually been there yet. I have been there. I have tried to swim there. The beach is very narrow, with hard course sand and the water is full of coral. Yes it is possible to swim there but it is not a very pleasant experience. Would you like a photo of this "beach", which is actually a strip of sand that nobody thought worthy to even give a name to?

Duluth MN
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: lahaina shores maui?

We've stayed at the Lahaina Shores three times and have enjoyed it every time! It's awesome to fall asleep at night listening to the ocean. The beach is okay for walking or running in the morning, but the strip of sand gets a little small during high tide.

It's in a great location for checking out the various shops and restaurants on Front St....you can walk all the way up to the Old Lahaina Luau and Lahaina Cannery Mall, which is something little over a mile. Leave the car at the hotel for doing this, of course.

Coin-op laundry is there, as was already stated by another poster, and is convenient.

Only thing that irks me a bit (and this is true of any hotel which imposes this) is the fee for parking. Why not just add it to the rate?

All in all, I recommend it. Decent value for the price and we'll be staying there again (probably) when we return next year. We can't wait!

Lee

10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: lahaina shores maui?

Thanks everyone for your replies...

Just one more question, what floor is best to stay on for the best oceanview and can you see the luau from there?

Thanks again...

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: lahaina shores maui?

"Would you like a photo of this "beach", which is actually a strip of sand that nobody thought worthy to even give a name to?"

Hawaiians named everything, every beach, rock, cove, body of water and stretch of land. Because you do not know the name, or if it has been lost to Western renaming does not mean it was not worthy of a name.

That beach has many names. Surfers call if Breakwalls or Harbor Lefts. Those in the business of dumbing down our culture and repackaging in it easy to pronounce sound bites call it 505 Beach. I do not know the ancient name of ke one per se, but it was part of Waine`e ahupua`a, a place called Mokuhinia, that included the sacred island of Moku‘ula. This is where Kamehameha made his home, and what is today called Breakwalls was once a favorite surfing spot of ali`i. The royal family and court made ther homes along the shore at Mokuhinia.

A little lore for anyone who is interested:

Moku`ula was the home in life to one of Maui's most sacred dieties, Kihawahine. Kihawahine was the daughter of Pi`ilani and when she died she became a sacred mo`o, or lizard goddess. She was the `aumakua of Maui's High Cheifess Keopuolani, who was Kamehameha's most sacred wife and mother of Liholiho (Kamehameha II). Kamehameha chose Kihawahine as his god. He carried her likeness into battle and credited his victories to her.

When Kamehameha died, Kihawahine appeared at Ko`ie`ie Loko I`a, a fishpond that is currently being restored in Kihei. They say you can still see her sunning herself there, and that when you see light flashing from the waters of the pond it is only Kihawahine swimming in it. She also manifests herself as a black monitor lizard, said to eat unwelcomed visitors to the island. Although she was originally a powerfull, large lizard, today she is often represented by a gecko.