We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
350 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

Hi everyone.......

I'm wondering which of these two hotels you would prefer and for what reasons. I'm actually asking for my dauther who is trying to decide where to stay on Maui as part of her honeymoon. Since she has enough earned points for both, either one would be free. She's just trying to determine which is the nicest. We stayed at the Hyatt when we were there a couple of years ago so I'm fmailiar with the layout of the beach. I also remember where both are located but since we never stayed in either one I thought I'd ask those of you who have. Thanks very much for your help.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,454 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

Just so you're clear on your options, there is a third Starwood property north of these two also called the Westin, but these are the Westin Villas, timeshare condos available for rent, as distinct from the Westin Maui, a hotel. As you know the Sheraton and WM are rather close together,while the Villas are perhaps a half mile north. The WM is the oldest and the Villas are the newest. The Villas have kiitchen laundry often full dining room, very luxurious. Many families. The Sheraton seems to attract more couples more honeymooners. The Sheraton also has a neat river that runs through the pool area. The Sheraton and WM sit on a decent beach, with easy entry. The Villas sit on a steeper beach with excellent coral/snorkeling off the beach, but an often difficult water entry. Bigger more luxurious room at the Villas, often small rooms at the WM. I'd vote for the Sheraton, but if the points were all the same, definitely the Villas.

Edited: 14 March 2011, 16:24
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

The Villas used to be the same amount of SPG points as the Westin/Sheraton, but as of March 1st went up 66%. (12k vs 20k).

We went with the Villas, because it included a washer/dryer, and there's no $25/day resort fee. Otherwise it would have been the Sheraton. That was a general consensus (at the time) from TA and FT, and the Westin is usually described as very crowded, something I'm not that into. From my research, Also, if she has status, the Sheraton has a far better track record for upgrades.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

Be careful, we were told that our Platinum SPG status will mean nothing at the Villas because they are timeshares. We are going with the Westin because we are using our points to do points + cash for ourselves and the other couple we are traveling with. We probably would have gone with the Sheraton but they don't have the points + cash option available for May or June. I'm concerned about the Westin reviews, but have noticed that Platinum members do seem to be getting excellent upgrades.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

I recommend the Sheraton. In fact I'm heading there in 10 days. I've stayed at the Westin and it just felt busy the whole time. The Sheraton is more serene. Most people think that Westin's are leagues above Sheraton's and they would be right on the Mainland..but in Hawaii I much prefer the Sheraton to the Westin.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

Sheraton has the best part of the beach. Generally you will find that the hotels that built first took the most amazing locations.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,698 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

I would go with the Sheraton.

We had a miserable stay at the Westin a couple of years ago and we won't go back. The Villas, yes, not the Resort.

Aldergrove, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

The Westin!!!

In their Lobby area there is a waterfall and lagoon with koi. An outrigger sits in the middle filled with orchids. Parrots are sitting on their brass stands watching the pink flamingos on the side. Walk by the front desk and get a refreshinig water with lime , and put an orchid in your hair. OMG- This is so gorgeous! I have't even mentioned the pools and waterfalls and etc... They are a 4-5 Star hotel and they are very pricey. $30 per person for a breakfast - but what a nice breakfast! Right on the nicest part - Ka anpali Beach. Just remember that there is a "resort" fee of 25.00 per night.

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

I've never stayed at either Westin property but we did stay at the Sheraton about 2 1/2 years ago. Enjoyed every minute. We went in early November and it was very quiet. Loved being able to sit on a lounge chair under an umbrella on the beach (they have cabanas, chairs and umbrellas for rent). I just can't sit on a towel all day anymore. Pool area was also very nice. I thought service was great. We only ate the breakfast buffet once - very nice but too pricey and too much food for an every day thing. One night they had an outdoor movie screen set up - my son thought that was very cool.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Sheraton.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

Mar 21, 2011, 3:06 PM

The Westin!!!

<In their Lobby area there is a waterfall and lagoon with koi. An outrigger sits in the middle filled with orchids. Parrots are sitting on their brass stands watching the pink flamingos on the side. Walk by the front desk and get a refreshinig water with lime , and put an orchid in your hair. OMG- This is so gorgeous! I have't even mentioned the pools and waterfalls and etc... They are a 4-5 Star hotel and they are very pricey. $30 per person for a breakfast - but what a nice breakfast! Right on the nicest part - Ka anpali Beach. Just remember that there is a "resort" fee of 25.00 per night>.

Could not have said it better-we just came back from the Westin-this was our 13th.stay there-I just booked next February-at the Westin.

10. Re: Westin or Sheraton on Kanapali Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Lahaina
Recent Conversations