We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is Lahaina more relaxed than Kihei?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
is Lahaina more relaxed than Kihei?

after reading some threads here in Tripadvisor, i am getting this impression that Lahaina is closer to the beach, more of historical things.

while Kihei is more of a town with shopping and restaurants.

am i right?

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is Lahaina more relaxed than Kihei?

Manila, A guide book with maps would help you. After you studied a map of Maui and read about the different areas our answers would have more meaning for you.

.http://www.honolulupublishing.com/MauiMaps/maui_map_south_3.html

This map will show all the wonderful beaches in the Kihie area.

Go to the honolulupublishing home page and look at the other area of Maui.

Hope this helps.

honolulupublishing.com/MauiMaps/maui_map_sou…

Edited: 02 May 2011, 03:30
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is Lahaina more relaxed than Kihei?

No, I think you got it the other way around. Kihei is more relaxed. Lahaina is more for shopping and restaurants. They are both on the beach. Kihei's beaches are better for swimming and snorkeling. Lahaina's beach is more for boats. It has a harbor.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is Lahaina more relaxed than Kihei?

We definitely found Kihei to be much more relaxing than Lahaina!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is Lahaina more relaxed than Kihei?

I have only stayed in Kaanapali.

But I did go to some of the beaches in South Maui.

I think Lahaina/Kaanapali is more relaxing.

Manila
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is Lahaina more relaxed than Kihei?

may i know what type of shops are there in Kihei and Lahaina?

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is Lahaina more relaxed than Kihei?

Kihei is not a self-contained "town" in the normal sense of the word. It stretches for several miles. Along Kihei Rd, where most of the lodging is located, there are small strip malls, houses, condos, and beaches all intermingled. Each strip mall has some shops and restaurants of varying types and price ranges. Some of the condo complexes are walking distance to one or two of the malls, but most people drive from here to there which makes for some congestion on the road.

The town of Lahaina is more like a typical town, with a higher concentration of shops and restaurants in several blocks all together. There are t shirt and souvenir shops as well as several expensive commercial art galleries mingled in with some interesting historical places from the old days as a whaling village. Lahaina often gets quite hot as the mountains block some of the ocean breezes. The streets are sometimes crowded with people walking around, particularly on days when cruise ships are in port. In addition to the town, the name "Lahaina" appears as the address for a wider area, which I believe includes the high-rise resort area of Kaanapali where there are large hotels and resorts and a small mall with some restaurants and more shops.

As to which is more relaxing, the answer will vary from person to person.

I find Kihei more relaxing because it's more spread out. Except for the road, not many crowds anywhere.

Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is Lahaina more relaxed than Kihei?

Lahaina isn't the only location on the west side. The other areas of interest that have a Lahaina address are Kaanapali, Kahana, Honokowai, Napili, and Kapalua. You will definitely find that laid back feel in Napili and Kapalua. Those areas are just a short drive to Lahaina town.

8. Re: is Lahaina more relaxed than Kihei?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 22:19