We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two stops in Maui....where to stay!

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
174 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Two stops in Maui....where to stay!

Hi all, new to Hawaii forum but not the trip advisor site. We are heading to Hawaii in July for 18 days(we are a couple in our late twenties). We are staying 6 night in Honolulu and are thinking of spending the rest of the time in Maui, probably split between two locations. I found a few reasonable condo type rentals in Honokowai. We are trying to do this as budget friendly as possible given the length of our stay. Any comments on that location? Lahaina seems more popular but potentially more expensive as well. We like the beach, hiking, walking, and exploring. Not huge night life people, walking through town for a coffee/drink is about as exciting as we get!!! We do plan on renting a car....as for the second leg of our trip on Maui...any recommendations on where to go? We are just beginning our research into the different areas but any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two stops in Maui....where to stay!

Split your time on Maui between West Maui and South Maui. Lahaina is a large zip code and Honokawai is just north of Kaanapali which is about 7 minutes from Lahaina.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two stops in Maui....where to stay!

if you really want to split your time..Kihei is a great place.. I would suggest the Kihei Surfside.. reasonable.. and on the water side of the road... Maui isn't really that large.. and you can go anywhere in a day.. Hana is a stretch! LOL...

I've stayed in Honokawai..it's nice too...Kihei gets the most sun... not sure that's true.. but it's what "they say"... no matter where you go.. you will LOVE the island..

aloha.. we're going in November.. this will be my 13th trip.. and I can't wait..

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,167 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two stops in Maui....where to stay!

Just stay put in one spot. Small island and easy driving around, moving is a pain...check-out at 11am, can't check-in til 4 pm, can't leave luggage alone in the car. You get the idea.

"Kihei gets more sun"!? Interesting and wrong comment! Honokawai has great budget condos with quick and easy access to many activities and eateries from Kapalua to Lahaina, a few minutes north or south.

The west side water is ususally perfect for snorkeling in summer.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,314 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two stops in Maui....where to stay!

Stay in one place. condo prices are better when you rent for a week rather than a few days.

Bella Vista, AR
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Two stops in Maui....where to stay!

I was in Maui in March, and stayed one night at the Makena Beach and Golf Resort, entirely because of the snorkeling. http://www.makenaresortmaui.com in Makena. It is a lovely resort. During the season you can see humpback whales regularly from the beach. A large catamaran leaves from the beach directly in front of the hotel to go to Molikini crater for snorkeling twice a day; early in the morning for the ones who really want to experience world class snorkeling (as well as later in the day for the ones who want to eat, drink, hang out on the water, and occasionally say things like 'Hey look! A fish!!". The crater itself is only half an hour away (within sight of the hotel's gorgeous, safe crescent beach), and so the early bird catamaran gets there hours before any other boat gets there. The snorkeling at that time is SUPERB!! Also, the hotel has a luau with firedancers on Wednesday, so if you have a choice, Wednesday night is the day to be there.

OTOH it is much more expensive than the place I spent all the REST of my time on Maui, which was the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei. This is a nice, clean hotel across a small street from a nice clean public beach. It has a refrigerator and a microwave in the room, and has guest laundry facilities. You can get groceries at the supermarket in Kahulua as you leave the airport in your rental car. (I did, along with souveniers, hawaiian shirts and boogie boards. A lot cheaper than the same fare at the Lahaina tourist traps.) Kihei has good surfing and Kihei's branch of Maui Wave Riders will gladly teach you how to get up on your board in under an hour. I am obese and 53. My kids call me grandma. I was never an athlete not even when I was a skinny gal of 23, but by golly, I too was doing the waggling thumb and pinky thing - interspersed with good old Arkansan fist pumps and shouts of Woo Pig Soiee - as I rode those (admittedly baby waves) for up to 10 seconds at a time! Definitely a thing to do!!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two stops in Maui....where to stay!

If you have found lodgings in Honokawai that you like, go for it - - it's a good area.

Kihei gets more sun - - in winter.

With ten days on island you can see and do a lot. Check the left sidebars for Things to Do and the right for FYI/FAQ. Splitting a stay can be fun, we like to do that sometimes.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Two stops in Maui....where to stay!

With 12 nights, you do have *time* to split your stay if you want. In July, I'd look for lodgings to the north on Maui. Napili and Kapalua usually have more cooling winds. (You'll still want A/C at your lodging!) However, if you want to investigate Haleakala, Iao Valley and do the Road to Hana, these are more convenient from South Maui. (Main airport too.) Would you want to plan an overnight in Hana?

It's awkward to split a stay between condos. (What to do with perishables when you check out at 10 a.m. and can't check in until late afternoon?) You might consider a condo for ten nights and a hotel for the remaining nights. Some visitors 'economize' with a condo and end the trip splashing out on a nice hotel.

July is coming up fast. Do you have your rental car(s) reserved?

HawgFan -- That was a great report on your trip! You sound like a real sport!

8. Re: Two stops in Maui....where to stay!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 18:17