We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba diving in Lahaina

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kilmarnock, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba diving in Lahaina

My husband and I are traveling to Lahaina in August and would like to make sure we dive - we are both experienced divers. We are not planning right now on renting a car. Can anybody recommend a dive shop in Lahaina? Or should we plan on renting a car for at least one day to get us someplace else to dive?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba diving in Lahaina

I have previously dived (quite a few years ago) with Extended Horizons, who I believe from reviews here are still going and getting good reviews. They used to dive from the boat ramp at the end of town, not sure if thats still the case.

Also Maui Dive Shop is a reputable operation and they have a branch in Lahaina.

I'd advise phoning both these and asking if they would collect from your accommodation.

There will I'm sure be many others, these are just the two I've used in the past in the Lahaina area.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba diving in Lahaina

BTW, unless you are planning to stay in Lahaina the whole time, or just have tour people pick you up, I'd not especially recommend going without a car in Maui. How long are you there for? The cost of a taxi return trip to the airport is probably going to be equivalent to 3 or 4 days car rental.

Not to say it can't be done without a car, my kids did when they were too young to rent, but you will be restricted on what to see and where to go, for example you wont be able to easily head off to a beach for snorkeling which I imagine as divers you might wish to do?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,702 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba diving in Lahaina

Aloha,

Extended Horizons is still very good. Also consider Lahaina Divers, Ed Robinson's. I agree that you really need a car.

Kilmarnock, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba diving in Lahaina

Thank you - we've seen several other posts that have sounded like trying to go without a car is probably not a good idea and have rented one (and it turns out we'll be spending as much for the car for the whole time as the round trip by shuttle from the airport!) Good advice.

MKE
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba diving in Lahaina

Since you're advanced divers - you might want to scope out Molokai for pelagics. I went with Lahaina Divers last January and saw quite a few sharks. It was my first live drop, blue water descent, of course in rough seas - plenty exciting.

Kilmarnock, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba diving in Lahaina

Excellent! I assume this is on the ocean side of molokai? I have dived close-by to there before and had the (awesome!) experience of hearing the whales singing. I think in August we won't be so lucky.

bedford, ny
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba diving in Lahaina

It's the back wall of the crater. Make sure you take a little extra weight, as the current is ripping. I love Lahaina Divers for this dive and Cathedrals off Lanai. What ever you do, don't use 5 star scuba out of the Westin. We were there this summer and had a really bad experience with them.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,950 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba diving in Lahaina

After repeated attempts to dive the back side of Molokini and each time getting skunked because of the weather, I've given up trying. Must be my bad luck or maybe the weather always cancels it. So that's a LOT of money to paddle around the crater for a REALLY boring dive. Almost as boring as the shore diving I've done along the west shore. There's a lot to see while snorkeling and it's free. So I save my money to dive places that are a lot cheaper and better. You can hear the whales just fine without diving. Dolphins and seals and turtles and coral are more frequent near the surface anyway. WEll, if you dive, I truly hope your experience is better than mine have been.

Edited: 15 September 2012, 00:19
9. Re: Scuba diving in Lahaina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 17:19