We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

Planning our first trip ever to Maui and the Big Island in September. We are a family of 5...including 3 boys aged 6 and under. We will be spending about 6 days in Maui and 4 on the big Island(simply because the twin (6yo) are really into volcanoes and we would love to take them to see them.)

I am hoping to book a hotel/condo for us but have not yet decided on which part of Maui to stay in. So far, I've narrowed it down to either Lahaina or Kaanapali as from my research, I've learned that West Maui is the place to be and not as quiet as South Maui. We will be renting a vehicle so we have freedom to visit the whole island.

I'm looking for a place that has a great pool for the kids as well as being beachfront with a sandy part of the beach, not rocky.

Also, my husband and I love eating out when we are travelling, although we will be buying groceries for breakfast and late night snacks for the kids. So we would like to be in an area with a variety of restaurants to choose from.

Thank you for your help!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,620 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

Aloha,

First, know that the Lahaina zip code covers from south of Lahaina town all the way north to Kapalua-in other words, the whole West coast.

In Lahaina town itself, you are very limited as to lodging choices. The two "major" ones are Aina Nalu and Lahaina Shores. Both are condos.

When you move north to Kaanapali, your choices expand immensely. Kaanapali is 3.5 miles from Lahaina town. You don't mention budget, but look at Kaanapali Ali'i, Maui Kaanapali Villas, Westin KOR Villas, Honua Kai, the Mahana, and Maui Kai for condos. The last two are actually at the start of Honokawai. The beach in Honokawai is overall more rocky and narrow.

Best beach will be at the Ali'i and Maui Kaanapali Villas.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

The only thing that I would add to swmarket's response ... is simply to make sure that you have a good map. Pull up one on line in the short run.

wizardpublications.com/maui/mauaerials.html

This may help. Scroll down ... click on the location and a list of accomodations will pop up.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

Your kids would love the Westin Maui pools. Not sure if the room size and price would fit what you are looking for, but the kids would definitely love that pool and beach there is wonderful too. Whaler's village is right next door and there are several places to catch a bite to eat there as well.

United States
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24615-Maui_Hap…

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

<Your kids would love the Westin Maui pools. Not sure if the room size and price would fit what you are looking for, but the kids would definitely love that pool and beach there is wonderful too.>

I agree, the kids would like the pools at Westin, but they would not like the standard rooms-only 350 sq.ft., would be real cramped-the rooms at the Beach Tower are a bit larger, 400 sq.ft.-we stayed there with our 2 youngsters, worked out fine for us. Also realize, the standard rooms at the Sheraton are no bigger than at the Westin. The hyatt has rooms 450 sq.ft., two swimming pools, separate one for kids,but the beach is narrow-but take a 5-10 minute walk along the paved beach walk and you can enjoy the great wide, sandy beach.

The Whaler's Village is next to the Westin, several restaurants, but, from the Hyatt it will be about a 20 minute walk-along the beach walk.

DE experts will address the condo issue.

One question please-is the Butchart Gardens as good as it was say, about 5 yrs.ago-we really like Victoria,BC.

Level Contributor
34,986 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

We had a two bedroom unit at Honua Kai and loved the layout! We had two separate bathrooms, both had lovely soaking tubs in them. The kitchens at Honua Kai are beautiful and the units also have a washer and dryer in them. We were close to Kapalua, Napili Bay, Kaanapali and downtown Lahaina.

There is a also a nice stretch of beach at Honua Kai and Duke's restaurant is on-site. Enjoy your time in Maui! :)

Victoria
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

Wow!! Thank you everyone so much for your advice:)

I've tried to budget our accomodations to about $200-$225 per night..I do hope that is a reasonable amount to get a great room, at a beachfront location with a nice pool and close to a fair amount of decent restaurants.

PS. "alumnus" ... I wish I could comment on Butchart Gardens, but I haven't been there for quite some time. Although, I can say that I haven't heard anything negative about it in the last few years...

Thanks again to all of you who take the time to share your wisdom with people like me... a nervous mom planning our first trip ever to that part of the world. Cheers!

PS - any insight/advice on getting a great car rental deal when we visit?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

Another thought-check out the AAA/CAA rate at the Hyatt-they offer some great deals-go to their website and get the AAA rate.

I am sure, the Butchart Gardens is fine-almost every where there was flower-those huge hanging baskets-they are just gorgeous!

Victoria
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

thanks Alumnus!!

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
143 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay - Lahaina or Kaanapali?

Check out www.discounthawaiirentalcar.com for car rental. We booked through them last time and got a better deal than I could find on individual sites. Book with them and they get you the best deal...I specified that I wanted a second driver free and they got me that with Alamo at no extra cost. You get a reservation and if you find a better deal closer to your trip you can cancel it...no deposit required to book. Book a.s.a.p. for your September trip!

Hopefully we get some sun here in Victoria and you don't have to wait till September to feel some warmth!