We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin?

Columbus
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin?

Trying to decide among these 3. Will be there in September for 7 days. Important features are clean rooms, nice beach and relaxing pool with swim-up bar. Any suggestions? Would also be nice to be able to walk to some restaurants and bars (maybe the fishing village).

thx for any advice.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin?

All three are great places so you cant go wrong. I usually stay at the Hyatt. Great hotel and the southern tip of kaanapali. Its got the nicest grounds out of the three. Rooms are nice, but the beach out in front is horrible. If you want to go to black rock, you can walk it but its about a mile or so on the walkway. Its a nice walk, but kind of a pain to walk that far for snorkeling. Pool is fun, but I dont think they have a swim up bar. There is a bar in the "cave" part of the pool, but its not a swim up bar.

The westin is in the middle of the hotel strip and the sheraton is at the northern end. You might want to check that out. Its got black rock right in front and thats the best snorkeling in kaanapali (hands down). The pool is nice as well. The westin looks dated to me, but i hear the rooms are nice.

So if you want a nice hotel, go with the hyatt. But from what you want, i think the sheraton is the best place. Oh, all places are within walking distance to whaler's village which has shopping and restaurants. its roughly in the middle of the hotel strip.

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin?

Thx Heras. We were also considering the Grand Wialeah (sp?). How does that hotel and beach compare?

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin?

Aloha!

From your message, it sounds like the Hyatt would be best. The rooms are nice, they have a great pool area and a swim up bar. Westin would give you a wider beach and great pools, but I don't remember a swim up bar there. Sheraton is lovely, has a great beach, and a nice BUT not elaborate pool area. From what I recall, Sheraton does NOT have a swim up bar either.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin?

After staying at the hyatt 3 times in a row, i split my vacation up last time between the hyatt and the grand wailea. I love kaanapali better than wailea bc there is more to do, but i loved the grand wailea. Its like picking what kid is your favorite-you just cant do it. Id recommend splitting, but most people here are against it. Kaanapali has more life to it so if this is your first time to maui, stay there and just drive to wailea for the day. there really isnt much to do there so even a full day there is excessive. Its about an hour drive between the two places.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin?

After staying at the hyatt 3 times in a row, i split my vacation up last time between the hyatt and the grand wailea. I love kaanapali better than wailea bc there is more to do, but i loved the grand wailea. Its like picking what kid is your favorite-you just cant do it. Id recommend splitting, but most people here are against it. Kaanapali has more life to it so if this is your first time to maui, stay there and just drive to wailea for the day. there really isnt much to do there so even a full day there is excessive. Its about an hour drive between the two places.

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin?

This helpful, many thanks!

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
446 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin?

Agree with heras. We went to Maui over Christmas and stayed at the Hyatt. Overall we considered it the best property in the Kaanapali area. We loved the room, the pool is the nicest of the three and it has the closest thing to a swim up bar (the previously mentioned bar in the cave). The grounds are by far the prettiest in this area. You can walk from here to the Whalers Village which has shops and restaurants, although the Westin and Sheraton are closer. The beach in front of the Sheraton was by far the best. Personally, I would have only picked this property if the beach was my top or only priority. Ditto also with the splitting idea. The grounds of the Grand Wailea are the most beautiful that I've seen anywhere. The beach was very nice as well. The only disadvantage to just staying out there is that we like going into Lahaina frequently in the evenings. When we go back, we would very much like to do the split. If for whatever reason, this doesn't turn out to be feasible, then we will once again stay at the Hyatt.

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin?

Downrigger... I stayed at the Hyatt and it is a great hotel. Heras is incorrect as the Hyatt does have a swip up bar in the pool. Nice pool, nice hotel terrible beach. The Westin has a great beach, nice polls, but very small rooms. I have not been to the Sheraton so I can not comment that too much. Westin is more geared towards families and the Hyatt is more adults. Hope this helps.

Get answers to your questions about Lahaina
Recent Conversations