We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten Free

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten Free

Any help with finding good gluten free food would be appreciated. I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and I do good eating at home but with the vacation coming up I am worried about eating out.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten Free

there will be plenty of options, i think. as this is a very popular way to eat now, and being in the food business, we are very aware of peoples food needs. but, on the other hand, it is hard to make sure, if you are going to really get sick, as most of the prepackaged foods say in the ingrediences...and other spices...that can be anything.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten Free

If you search on this you'll find several threads, heres one:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60632-i109-k44962…

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,968 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten Free

Aloha,

Rita, do you mean in grocery stores or in restaurants?

Most of the grocery stores have a decent selection of gluten free now.

In restaurants, Maui is just starting to come into it. Make sure you ASK, and that you know the base of dishes. Remember that Shoyu (soy sauce) has gluten in it. Look for rice based dishes, vegetarian ones, etc. Also stay away from "crusted" preparations, like "mac nut crusted chicken" or "mac nut crusted fish", because the Panko (Japanese style breadcrumbs) are wheat based. Stick with sauteed, grilled fish, meat, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten Free

So first thing, you'll want to avoid stuff fried in a vat of oil or fat as you know there is always a chance that there will be some type of flour in with your fish or fries or whatever. If you have something sauted, ask that it be prepared in a clean pan (no sauces from previous items) and I am not sure you can trust something that is grilled. Research some restaurant menus ahead of time to see if there are dishes that are specifically labeled gluten free. Try to anticipate sauces that may be made with soy sauce or wheat starches used as thickeners. Don't be afraid to ask to talk to the chef if you are eating as a nice place. If he or she doesn't completely understand your dietary needs, I wouldn't place a ton of trust on the food you're eating.

Okay, now I sound like Debbie Downer. There are a couple of natural food stores in Kahului and one in Kihei and Paia. You can stock up on some favorites there. Hopefully some other travelers can list restaurants that are well trusted..... Huladolz, are you out there?

Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,968 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten Free

Aloha,

Julauf--I'm puzzled! Why wouldn't you trust a grilled dish ('naked," that is, no crust/seasoning)?

6. Re: Gluten Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 03:17