We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honolulu / maui vacation

wollongong nsw
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
honolulu / maui vacation

Hi

we are flying in from Australia, we fly straight to Maui & are staying at the aston kaanapli shores for 4 nights. We have hired a car, but can anyone please tell me some great places to explore...??

We then fly into Honolulu for 6 nights & staying at ohana East, we would also like some help for idea's for some great American/Hawaiin restaurants, clubs? etc

Just want to make sure we make the most of our wonderful trip

thankyou NAT

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honolulu / maui vacation

Great places to explore on Maui?

Haleakala

Iao Needle

Hana Hwy.

Kapalua up to the blow hole

Lahaina

LaPerouse Bay

Upcountry to the Tedeschi Winery

Beaches, beaches and more beaches

Lanai

get out on the water, snorkel or whale watch tour (depending on time of year you are coming).

For restaurants on Oahu, go to the Oahu Forum and check out the Top Questions on the right hand side of the page. Click on Amberloo and Food, great list of the best places for different ethnic foods.

wollongong nsw
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: honolulu / maui vacation

Thankyou msfuzz,

We will definatley explore alot of Maui, thankyou for your help.

I will check out the Oahu forum now

:) nat

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honolulu / maui vacation

Your welcome, nat, have a great time!!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honolulu / maui vacation

You will probably get a lot more replies if you mention a bit about what sort of things you like to do.

4 nights is very short amount of time for Maui. You can visit Haleakale and Iao Valley on the same day. They are sort of in the same parts of the island, and each location would take about 2 to 3 hours to explore.

Hana Hwy is scenic, a beautiful drive, one of my favorite, but it will take up a full day.

Lanai island also requires a whole day. Lanai island is great for snorkeling, beach, and sail boating all wrapped in one.

You are staying on the West side of Maui, close to two great snorkeling beaches, Honolua Bay and Kapalua Bay. They are both just north of where you will be staying, may be a 15 to 20 min drive. You can drive to both of these beaches.

D.T. Fleming is great for some afternoon boogie boarding, if that's what you like. Fleming is also in Kapulua, not far from Kapalua Bay.

Oh, be sure to stop by Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina for a causal Hawaiian lunch or dinner. Great local food, and inexpensive too.

wollongong nsw
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: honolulu / maui vacation

Hi HappyTraveler,

Yes i totally undertsand about getting more replies, but im just sooo excited haha i just wrote that to get some info i guess........ & i dont really know what there is to do on the island of Maui...?

Was there any films made there.......?

My husband & i are looking forward to having a wonderful holiday by ourselves for once....... :)

We both enjoy exploring and finding beautiful places to visit, i just thought maybe there might be some hidden secrets that we must take a look at.

We have a car for the 4 days so a drive along the Hana Hwy sounds great.

We are from Australia & we love to swim so snorkeling is a must.... :)

We also enjoy great food, so some restaurant suggestions are also a big hit with us

So thankyou for all your helpful information.......

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honolulu / maui vacation

"Just Go With It" starring Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler was filmed in Maui, mostly at the Grand Wailea Resort in South Maui. I think this movie is due out next year though. Which is actually great, you and hubby can watch this movie after your trip, and say, "oh, we been to this beach, oh, oh we totally made out on that beach too!"

If you are planning to do the Road to Hana, then Iao Valley might not be necessary. Iao is a much smaller version of Hana. They offer similar flavor.

You can do a beach day with Honolua Bay (the best snorkeling spot on Maui), Kapalua Bay, Ka'anapali Beach, and D.T. Fleming. All these beaches are in West Maui, not far from each other.

You should visit the famed Haleakala too. You can combine this visit with a lunch at Mama's Fish House. This is probably the most famous restaurant on Maui. Beautiful setting, and expensive, probably $100 for the both of you for lunch. Just minutes away from Mama's fish house is the world famous windsurfing beach called Ho'okipa Beach. We love going to this beach just to watch all the windsurfers.

If you want to do a boat trip, the Lanai island would take all day. Molokini is a good alternative for a half day snorkeling trip instead. You can then spend the afternoon visiting South Maui.

South Maui has many, many awesome sandy beaches. Grand Wailea Resorts is in South Maui. Most of that movie was shot there. You can visit this resort, and have lunch or dinner at Grand Wailea's Humuhumunukunukuapa'a restaurant. My two favorite beaches in South Maui are Keawakapu Beach and Makena Beach (a.k.a. the big beach).

There are too many great restaurants at both Maui and Oahu. So, you will not have difficulty finding great food at the islands.

Have fun.

Edited: 28 October 2011, 05:42
7. Re: honolulu / maui vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 05:16