We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer, what are the must dos?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burnsville...
Level Contributor
23 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer, what are the must dos?

My wife and I (50s) will be staying at the Aston Mahana for 10 days the end of January. We are pretty active and enjoy exploring local culture, shopping and beach activities. We will have a car. As this is my first trip to Maui (wife has been there before with a group of friends), I'd love to know what are some must see/do activities.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer, what are the must dos?

Well do a whole lot of reading on the forum! If you hop over to the main Maui forum read recent Trip reports and all the great info to the upper right ...they help a lot! Really! DO plan a day Upcountry DO plan a day in Lahaina and visit the Banyan Tree. DO plan on just relaxing and enjoying the island!!

california
Level Contributor
893 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer, what are the must dos?

I would go to the best restaurant in town..Mama's Fish House. The ocean view is outstanding. Located in Paia. Make sure to make reservations

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer, what are the must dos?

Haleakala!!! A lot of people go up for their sunrise, or sunset. I have been to Maui three times, and have never done either! It doesn't matter what time of day you go up there, it is amazing! No pictures can do it justice.

Another must do in my opinion is the Road to Hana. Assuming your wife and you don't get car sick, consider taking a day, a long day, to enjoy the journey to Hana. It actually goes past Hana, to Haleakala park on the backside and the pools at Oheo Gulch. A tip.... you will pay 10.00 per car to enter Haleakala park. That receipt is good for three days, so if you plan on going to Hana, try to do it within the three days. Ten dollars is not a lot of money to pay again, but I see it as money saved for a couple of mai tais during happy hour ;o)

Another must is planning nothing at all, and just do what strikes your fancy. DOWNTIME... let your mood decide for you. A sunset cruise is wonderful, or a snorkeling trip, and given the time of year you will be there, a WHALE WATCHING TRIP! If you do a snorkeling trip, your chances of it doubling as a whale watching trip are very good.

Did your wife go a luau on her trip before??? Old Lahaina Luau (just behind the Cannery Mall) gets my vote every time.

Iao Needle is another wonderful trip. Makena Beach (also known as Big Beach) south of Kihei, is a great trip too.

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong... Maui is magical! Have a wonderful time!

Burnsville...
Level Contributor
23 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer, what are the must dos?

Thanks for the replies. We are quickly accumulating a long list of things to do. Will check the Maui Forum as well.

Michigan
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer, what are the must dos?

I love Plate Lunch/Dinner restaurants. Local food is the best....better than any fancy dinner in my opinion. I agree with biking Haalakela downhill and doing it at sunrise with a group that lets you go at your own pace. Try a stand up paddle board. Drive to the North shore (especially on a high surf day but be careful) Trillogy Lanai snorkel trip is good enough to do a second time for me. Molokini crater snorkel. I may try back side this time? Bring a shortie wetsuit if you have one, water for long period of time can be chilly but you can often rent them on boats. Bring good binoculars because the whales are what it is all about. Watch from shore or boat. Frommers or Maui revealed book is a big help for first or many timers. I want someone to convince me of the long road to Hana. Maybe it's been too many years but I recall it being a bit tedious.....thinking of riding in a tour van so I can look.....still need convincing though. I don't much like typical tourist stuff. Have a great mai tai. Stock up at Costco if you can...It's by the airport. Do a star gaze at one of the hotels with telescopes/or a meet up park night group.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer, what are the must dos?

lavendar farm, followed by the surfing goat dairy (cheese) and then to the winery...and a walk about in makawao...

nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer, what are the must dos?

Hi there,

The Banyan tree with it's long shady branches

covers a lot of mistakes. NWF.

United States
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timer, what are the must dos?

All the things posted are great ideas. I agree totally with your idea of compiling a list. I'd only pick 3 big items. For example on our first trip to Maui we went to Haleakala, next trip (2 weeks!!) we're going to try the RTH. Last trip we also did a zipline and a luau. We filled it in with lots of little things along the way like visiting Lahaina, visiting Wailea beach, etc.

Keep making your list! You can enjoy reviewing it each morning in Maui to see what you feel like doing. Keep the list. You won't be able to finish it all--gotta save that for your next trip!

oceano
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timer, what are the must dos?

Go snorkeling....Trilogy on the beach for smaller boats; Pacific Whale Foundation. Go whale watching. Drive to Hana. Drive to the Volcano. Walk along the beaches. Lie in the sun. "Yelp" for the best local restaurants near wherever you are that moment. Send whole coconuts through the mail to friends at home. You can just put addresses on them and take to the post office. We're going 2 weeks from today for the umpteenth time, also staying at Mahana for second time and the first time was in the 70's or early 80's. The Hyatt Regency Luau is an extravagant show. Walk around the newer hotels and lobbies....pretty places. There's a Whole Foods near the airport to stock up the condo. ENJOY. Watch the sunsets from your lanai...or go to Lanai or even more interesting, Molokai on the ferry and then a local tour guide there.

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timer, what are the must dos?

Don't overplan. Do what sounds fun, and what you can't do anywhere else. Maybe figure out what areas most interest you, then explore them and see what turns up. For our recent trip, I wish we would have spent more time around Makawao and Paia. In contrast to what 95% of other posters will say, I wasn't wow'd by Haleakala. It's incredible of course, but the road up is not for sissies (people drive that in the dark?), it's cold up there and if it's not clear, your view could be severely hampered. For us, I would have rather spent the time doing something else.

That said, the things on my must-do list are I'ao Valley, the beach, dinner with a sunset view and coffee in the morning on the lanai.