We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Itinerary

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Itinerary

This is our proposed itinerary. I tried to build in some down time. We are staying at the Maui Kai condos. Off (unplanned) days are the days we'll snorkel at the beach or just laze around. One question I have is about Halekala. Is sunrise on Day 1 reasonable for someone who is NOT a morning person? Would it be terrible to wait until about 10 to get there? I am thinking of booking a zipline tour that day and know I should probably go ahead, but I'm also afraid of exhaustion. Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Day 1 (December 29): Arrive – buy supplies, unpack, dinner someplace casual (Aloha Mixed Grill?)

• Day 2 (December 30): Halekala National Park. Thinking about breakfast then ziplining.

• Day 3 (December 31): Snorkeling @ Kapalua Bay or Black Rock; Feast at LeLe

• Day 4 (January 1): Lunch at Mama's Fish House; Whale Watching – Ultimate Whale Watch Maui

• Day 5 (January 2): Road to Hana with Awapuhi Adventures

• Day 6 (January 3): Open Day

• Day 7 (January 4): Open Day, dinner at Merriman's for hubs’s Birthday

• Day 8 (January 5): Last day; no plans. Ideas for last day activities or should we play this one by ear?

Thanks in advance!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Itinerary

One comment about sunrise at Halekala. If we went later, we could possibly go to the Tedeschi Vineyards or the Surfing Goat Dairy. If we went at sunrise, I'm not sure we'd be up for it. I don't want to miss something amazing because I'm lazy, but I also don't want to exhaust myself beyond reason, hence the indecisiveness. Thanks!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,659 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Itinerary

Your itinary looks good to me.... Sounds like a full week.

I am not sure I understand your question about Haleakala... If you would like to see the sunrise, do it on your first full day on Maui as you will be adjusting to the time change. most likely you will be up early in the AM anyway. IMO, I would not do two excursions in one day. keep in mind that driving to HNP takes 2 hrs or so, total 4 hrs. I think by the time you are done with Haleakala Nat"l Park you will be exhausted. I guess leaving at 10 wont be too bad. If your not tired when you are done, then do something else that does not require a booking. ie: "open day". do ziplining on one of your open days. and lounge on the beach or pool after HNP. Tedeschi Vineyards sounds good but I do not no if you need reservations. if not, and you feel good about staying out all day after HNP then go for it.

Last day, I would keep open and do some shopping and sightseeing. Depending on what time flight takes off. But do not leave your luggage in the car!!!! Most resorts will keep it for you until you are ready to depart.

when I keep open days on my itinerary, sometimes I don't stick to that, we will do whatever. if it means beach/ pool in the am, then go out for lunch and sightsee or do some sort of an excursion. We split our time like that a lot. it works great for us.

I think your itinary sounds great.

enjoy your time on Maui.

Bing Crosby - Mele Kalikimaka (Hawaiian Christmas Song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEvGKUXW0iI

to everyone in Hawaii... I heard this song on the radio yesterday and had to look it up....

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Itinerary

Most people are awake very early the first morning after arrival, so getting UP isn't the problem. Your 'batteries' will run down earlier that afternoon and evening though. I'd plan a slow afternoon and ziplining another day.

Plan a day to hit some of the South Maui beaches for calmer ocean snorkeling.

Edited: 06 December 2011, 15:17
United States
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Itinerary

We did ziplines after our drive to HAleakala last trip (the skyline one up there). It was great.

Don't Plan anything u last day!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Itinerary

Great suggestions, everyone. I think we'll try to see sunrise, but play it by ear. If we make it great, if we're too tired to get up, that's okay, too. Thank you so much!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,060 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Itinerary

Good thinking txgrl99. Even though sunrise on Haleakala is magnificent, just plan on going up there, no matter what time of day!!

Snorkeling Kapalua Bay at this time of year will be hit or miss due to surf conditions. Be prepared to have a plan B. Also, change your snorkeling from Black Rock and go to Kahekili Beach Park instead. Much better snorkeling, lots of free parking (that you don't get if you go to Black Rock), showers, grassy area and picnic tables.

If snorkeling on the west side is also rough, head on down to south Maui which will have the best most consistent ocean conditions during this time of year!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Itinerary

Thanks for the great tips, msfuzz. I will definitely follow your tips regarding snorkeling.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Itinerary

One more thought... On Day 4 you're planning lunch at Mama's Fish House then a Whale Watching excursion. Which means you are driving over to the north side for lunch and then back to Lahaina to catch your Whale watching boat. Lots of driving. Why not combine your lunch at Mama's with some other activity on that side of the island (Upcountry, Paia, etc) and have lunch somewhere in Lahaina before your excursion. It will save you a lot of running back and forth across the island.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Itinerary

Thanks, Snowbird. Very good point. I will check around and see what is open on New Year's Day. I don't know about Maui, but here in Texas pretty much everything is closed. I like the idea of limiting driving, though.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,640 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Itinerary

Aloha,

Most tourist activities will be open on NY's Day here. Some smaller stores and cafes will be closed, but NY's Day is pretty much another business day to us here.

I would consider moving your lunch at Mama's to your last day, even if you end up making it an early dinner. The prices are the same (pretty much) for lunch or dinner, and it would be a nice way to end your trip. One of the reasons I rec this is that right now, you are driving over to Mama's one day, then back over the next to do the RTH. UGH.........way too much back and forth for me!!!

Edited: 06 December 2011, 19:18