We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

Burtonsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

I have read great things about both restaurants. I see that you can make reservations, via Open Table. When you make a reservation is it for their upstairs dining room or can you make a reservation for a table in the outside Barefoot Bar area?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

California
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

I don't think the Barfoot Bar takes reservations, just the main restaurant. If there's a wait (and there always is!) they give you a pager to hold until your table's ready. Most of us just walk around the shops while waiting, no big deal. Not sure about Leilanis.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 02:02
Burtonsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Clint1583. Good idea about waling around Whaler's Village while you wait for a table.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

Indoors you can make reservations - but not for outdoors (barefoot bar). We've been lucky with very short or no waits, but we tend to have dinner early-ish.

Burtonsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

It sounds like a dinner reservation 30 minutes before sunset is a good strategy. In the Open Table reservation how should I make a request? Ask for a table with a view of the water or a table on the outer edge? Not sure the correct wording to hopefully guarantee that we have a great sunset view.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

Actually, why don't you just call the restaurant? I don't know that they would hold a particular table for you...it's mostly luck of the draw for best views. We also go for the early bird so it's not quite as crowded and we've always gotten great tables.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
908 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

We used Open Table for my birthday dinner in December. Noted it on special requests. We booked the 5:00pm reservation for Leilanis. Awesome table upstairs. They have great dinner specials before 6:00pm! The Barefoot bar area is walk-up only so no reservations there. No big deal for me. Also, check out Dukes - same company. I also booked through Open Table and had a fantastic dinner!!! Enjoy!

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

Just wanted to throw this out there - last time we ate at leilani's is was not great. Fish is chips was average or below. Small portions. Not related to your question, but some of the best fish and chips we have had on the island were at the the Maui Brewing Company in the Kapalua area. No view or anything - but great, hubby also loved the pork nachos.

Burtonsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

Thanks for all of the information regarding reservations. I like Open Table as I can make the reservation on my phone and I have an e-mail confirmation. I can also make notes of a special request etc.

susie6505 - Dukes is on our list for dinner one night. We went to the location in Waikiki 5 years ago. We figured we would do dinner at Dukes and make a reservation for 30 minutes before sunset.

mandynoel728 - Maui Brewing Company is on our list for lunch one day. It looks like they have a great beer menu and we have heard great things about the Coconut Porter.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

rak...

mbc's coconut porter is fantastic. they also have flights if you want to sample others.

Edited: 11 February 2012, 04:11
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: reservations at Hula Grill or Leilanis

For great sunset view and excellent food, I might suggest Tropica at the Westin, just a few yards down the beach. All outdoor seating and well-priced 3-course "special" dinners that will save a bunch over ala carte selections.