We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

We're would like to spend a few nights in the Lahaina area during August 2012 with two adults and two teenagers.

Would you recommend The Grand Hyatt, The Westin or The Four Seasons??

Thanks!

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

The Four Seasons is in Wailea (South Maui).

The Hyatt on Ka'anapali would be my recommendation of those you have listed. I would avoid the Westin RESORT and Spa. The Westin VILLAS (condos) are highly recommended, though.

Ka'anapali is often lumped in with Lahaina ... they share a zip code or such. Lahaina is a Town, and Ka'anapali is a resort area about 5 miles to the north. Both are West Maui.

Why such a short stay? How many nights do you have on Maui?

Iowa
Level Contributor
11,201 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

I believe the Hyatt on Maui is a Hyatt Regency, a step down from Grand Hyatt. Is that correct, experts? There is a Grand Hyatt on Kauai that is highly recommended. The Four Seasons is considered the best hotel on Maui, though it's not in Lahaina, but in Wailea.

With teens have you considered a condo or a villa?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

Between Hyatt regency and Westin Resort, I think the Hyatt might work out better for you-the rooms at both the Westin and Sheraton are smaller than at the Hyatt-450 sq.ft. v 340 sq.ft. at Sheraton and the Ocean Tower at Westin and 400 sq.ft at the Beach Tower. The Hyatt is a fine luxury hotel, it has undergone some major renovations within the past two yrs.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,690 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

Well with teens I'd go with a condo...more room to spread out AND that fridge for the eating machines. Look at the Whaler, Kaanapali Ali'i and the Marriott Beach Club right on Kaanapali Beach...a little north are the Honua Kai and Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, these are condo/tels with full resort amenities as well as the Aston Kaanapali VillasKaanapali Villas.

The last three are on the quieter side of Black Rock but still with easy access to Whaler's.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,508 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

I like the Hyatt Regency a lot better than the Westin Resort, but I agree with Mamma, I'd look at a condo like the Honua Kai or Westin Villas. It is nice to have a kitchen and washer and dryers and more room when you have teens in tow.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

The Marriott Kaanapali also has big kitchens in their Napili Villas tower.

Teenagers would enjoy being near Whalers Village.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
171 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

I've stayed at both the Westin and the Hyatt and prefer the Hyatt. The rooms are larger and nicer and doesn't have as much traffic on the walkways near the hotel.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

It's not a Grand Hyatt, just a Hyatt. The Grand Hyatt is in Kauai.

Hackensack, New...
Level Contributor
338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

Hyatt pn Ka'anapali has no beach to speak of. I do not know about the Westin

Denver
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lahaina Hotel - Grand Hyatt or Westin

The beach at the Hyatt Regency in Ka'anapali is very short, but there is a beach and you can swim and snorkle right in front of the hotel. The beach does get wider as you go north towards the Westin, and south as you go toward Canoe Beach. Easy walks if a wider beach is important.