We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Seasons Really Worth It

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Four Seasons Really Worth It

I am planning my honeymoon for a trip to Maui this July. Ideally I would love to stay at the Four Seasons as it has the best ratings and looks gorgeous, but it might break the bank. My more 'affordable' option was staying at the Wailea Beach Marriot. I'm just wondering anyone's opinion on whether or not the Four Seasons is worth stretching the budget thin?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Seasons Really Worth It

Would you give up excursions and dining out to stay there? Would you be able to secure an ocean view at the 4S?

I say save the money and splurge on activities and dining. When/If you have better incomes then stay at the 4S.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,996 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Seasons Really Worth It

The Four Seasons is the best hotel on the island. Unsurpassed in customer service. Whether it's worth breaking the bank or not is a matter of personal preference and how long the bank will be broke!! The Wailea Marriott is a nice compromise.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
816 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Seasons Really Worth It

I say you are in Maui....no need to stay at the best of the best! Just being on the island is 5 stars! Put that money saved towards a down payment on a house, or towards some activities/nice dinners to experience while you're there. You have your whole future ahead of you to stay at the top notch places. Plus there are many spectacular places to stay on the island for less money! Maybe down the road, stay at the Four Seasons, when you won't have to pinch any pennies!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,687 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Seasons Really Worth It

I can speak only for myself.....we just celebrated our 30th anniversary on Maui. We could have afforded the Four Seasons. For me, I don't need the best resort, as long as I am with my guy! The best surroundings for us on Maui are whatever beach we are enjoying that day.

The money saved because we are happy in the same condo complex paid for our return visit this fall! And our daughter and her BF will join us. I prefer return visits ASAP, so I plan our vacations less expensively.

I cannot be happy on any vacation if I feel I am "breaking the bank" possibly. I want to enjoy all the awesome restaurants Maui has to offer and an excursion or two. I like to purchase art as reminders of my journey.

If you are easily able to afford "the best", go for it. But just being on Maui, in an affordable place, facing the ocean with a lanai and the company of each other, that's more than many people could hope for. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Seasons Really Worth It

letsgotohawaii... Well said, totally agree!

Elburn, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Seasons Really Worth It

My hubby and I just got back from the Four Seasons and loved it. We booked thru Preferred Agent and got free bkfast daily (which is like $80 discount / day) then we got free upgrade and 1 free lunch (about $80 also). This really helped us save some money. We booked a mountainview room for like $515 / night and then with the free upgrade had a very nice garden view / partial ocean view room. If you don't mind not having the ocean view then this is def. the way to go. We aren't in room that much anyhow and can get the ocean view when we are outside. We thought this was the way to go b/c you still get FS service and all the ammentiites like free lounge chairs (that other places charge you for) but at the lower rate than the ocean view rooms.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Seasons Really Worth It

If I was in your situation I would book an ocean view luxury condo - which you could get for say $250ish a night, and save the money to do other things on Maui, if the 4 seasons is going to break the bank but you are looking at that range of pricing.

We stayed in a much cheaper condo than that though - more like $90 a night, and had way more room and privacy than in a hotel!

This year were staying in a condo with ocean view for $190 a night, and I would not swap it to stay in a hotel for anything. We dont really spend all that much time in the room anyway - and when we do, I appreciate having a kitchen.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,993 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four Seasons Really Worth It

I agree with the others that if it's affordable and it's somewhere you want to stay ... go for it. But if it's stretching your budget to stay there, and leaves you short on funds to enjoy meals and activities on Maui, then I would go with a more affordable option. You'll probably have just as great of a time staying at more affordable accommodations ... and your bank account won't be drained.

Best wishes on your upcoming wedding & honeymoon!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,687 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four Seasons Really Worth It

Our one bedroom, two bath condo, two loungers and upgraded patio table with four chairs on huge lanai with full oceanfront location and simple, yet lovely, landscaping and massive lawn costs about $160 a night during low season. That includes taxes, parking, cleaning fee (none) and the kitchen is far superior to mine at home! I have spent fourteen weeks in this condo in three and a half years. We spend enough time in our condo to appreciate the lanai for both morning coffee and sunset smoothies. I cannot imagine paying over $500 a night and barely seeing the ocean. I am not being judgemental, just honest. What makes one person happy does not necessarily make another the same.

I hope choosing an expensive resort doesn't hamper your ability to return to Maui sooner rather than later! IF this is going to be your first visit.......watch out, Maui has a way of making you fall in love with her!

Whatever you decide, have a terrific time on Maui!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,687 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four Seasons Really Worth It

Our one bedroom, two bath condo, two loungers and upgraded patio table with four chairs on huge lanai with full oceanfront location and simple, yet lovely, landscaping and massive lawn costs about $160 a night during low season. That includes taxes, parking, cleaning fee (none) and the kitchen is far superior to mine at home! I have spent fourteen weeks in this condo in three and a half years. We spend enough time in our condo to appreciate the lanai for both morning coffee and sunset smoothies. I cannot imagine paying over $500 a night and barely seeing the ocean. I am not being judgemental, just honest. What makes one person happy does not necessarily make another the same.

I hope choosing an expensive resort doesn't hamper your ability to return to Maui sooner rather than later! IF this is going to be your first visit.......watch out, Maui has a way of making you fall in love with her!

Whatever you decide, have a terrific time on Maui!