We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

We are heading to Maui for 7 nights then Oahu for 2 nights the end of August. As a family of 4 with a 13 and 15 year old, we have decided to stay in a 2 BR condo around Whaler's Village area in Maui. I want an ocean view so I can sit on the Lanai and enjoy my morning coffee or evening wine and watch the surf.

I;ve scoured this forum and numerous reviews on the internet and essentially am paralyzed by the mixed reviews. I was ready to go with Ka'anapali Ali then thought maybe the Whaler then thought maybe....

Any guidance from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

central illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

We arrived at the Kaanapali Ali yesterday from Oahu. Our party includes my wife, 18 year old son, and 15 year old daughter. We opted for the garden view to save a few bucks and fretted about which building we'd be placed in because the units look far apart on the Internet. All the buildings are close together and none are far from the beach and the all surround the beach. We couldn't be more pleases that we decided to pay a little more and stay here. It's a two minute stroll to Whalers village. The grounds are great and our unit is very, very nice! The staff is terrific, also. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

central illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

We arrived at the Kaanapali Ali yesterday from Oahu. Our party includes my wife, 18 year old son, and 15 year old daughter. We opted for the garden view to save a few bucks and fretted about which building we'd be placed in because the units look far apart on the Internet. All the buildings are close together and none are far from the beach and the all surround the beach. We couldn't be more pleases that we decided to pay a little more and stay here. It's a two minute stroll to Whalers village. The grounds are great and our unit is very, very nice! The staff is terrific, also. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

Would you feel better if you could chose your exact unit by renting from vrbo or an agency? Both of these complexes are older and units will vary greatly as far as updating. I wouldn't want to chance it to the luck of the draw renting through the resort. If you find a unit that you are contemplating ask if anyone is familiar with it. I still think Honua Kai beats either of these places, but teens will probably love being on the main area of Ka'anapali. Go ahead and make a choice and relax, you'll love it whichever you choose!

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

Don't worry about ocean view, that's the hang up people have. Take a garden view and things will be fine. We stayed at Outrigger Eldorado in a 1 bedroom, room I-201. It's huge and clean. We had a view of the golf course, sat on the patio watching little birds that would land and look at us. Some of the units at Eldorado face the ocean and have a view if you want to pay more.

We stayed there 2 nights, then splurged and went to Kapalua Ridge Villas that overlooked the ocean and the golf course. It was nice but not worth the extra money.

The location of the Eldorado made it great. 10 minute walk to Black Rock, 15 minutes to Whaler's Village. No parking fee, no clean up fee.

Once you get over trying to get an ocean front property, things will become easy. See my TR with pictures.

http://www.nogodforme.com/MauiHawaii2011.htm

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

I have been in the kaanapali Alii unit 321 and it was beautiful. Great view and nice furnishings.

The Alii was built as first class, has been well maintained and recently updated their pool and have the best BBQ area I have seen.

Great area for families.

Silverdale, Wa
Level Contributor
86 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

I have been to Maui on several occasions and I understand about the view. We have had oceanfront views that were so beautiful and garden views which are much like I have at home. I want the veiw. I think it is a personal preference and one you should listen to. Our last trip had a garden view at one place and then a stunning oceanview at the condo that we stayed at for the last two days. I decided that if I can afford an ocean view I will take it any day over a garden view. Luckily there are condos in all budgets that offer nice views.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

To each his own...my lanai has to have a oceanview! Period, exclamation point!

If you are willing to venture just north of Kaanapali Beach, but remain within spittin' distance, look at the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, the Westin Villas and the Honua Kai.

Something at the Whaler or Ali'i gives you closer proximity to Whaler's Village.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

Yup....the ocean view is a "must have"....but I do not require a swimmable beach. That's how we save money in Kihei AND have our desired privacy. Oceans views to die for, every unit, and we drive ten minutes to our favorite beach. Wish I was on Maui now.....:-). Deb

Level Contributor
34,979 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

We had a nice ocean view from our lanai at Honua Kai. :)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo advice for a family of 4 in Maui

<<"Don't worry about ocean view, that's the hang up people have. ">>

Yes ... that's our 'hang up' because we don't have oceans near to where we live, and with spending 12-14 hours getting to Maui (and back home again) and a couple of thousand dollars for the two of us on flights, we're not willing to settle for a parking lot, garden or golf course view from our lanai ... it has to be the ocean :)