We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

Hi,

Wondering about your experience at these luaus. Booked Old Lahaina not to miss out but also heard some good things about the other. Your impressions?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

I've been to both. The Old Lahaina Luau is the most authentic and one of the best luau's in the islands. Great venue, food and entertainment.

The Polynesian Cultural Center is wonderful too, but to me a whole different experience. Visiting the Polynesian Villages, riding the canoes, and staying for the evening show are the highlights for me. Their actual luau leaves a lot to be desired. Last time I went, I got a different package that included a prime rib buffet dinner instead of the luau.

All that said, the evening show at the PCC is the best entertainment anywhere in Hawaii.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,760 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

Yes, the PCC is great, when on Oahu. No alcohol served at this one, in case you care. The PCC is more about all of Polynesia, including New Zealand. You can spend a big part of our day there, going around the complex from "village" to "village".

The OLL is Hawaiian, no fire dancer, as that is not Hawaiian.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

The people that own Old lahaina Luau also own the Feast of Lele.

Of the three I would pick Feast of lele.

Polynesian Cultural Center is still worth a daytime visit to see their attractions .

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

I hated the PCC. It's a phony, plastic astroturf and concrete environment IMO. We had comp tickets and still felt ripped off. It's the last way I would want to spend a day of my vacation. The Feast at Lele is my favorite Luau type experience I have been to. Never done the OLL though.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

PCC is the best by far. Their evening show, Ha: Breath of Life is by far the best Polynesian show in Hawaii. Plus there are the daytime villages, canoe rides, canoe pageant & more. All for aqbout the same price as any other luau venue.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

I never saw any plastic astro turf on the grounds of the Polynesian Cultural Center!!

Feast at LeLe is wonderful but it's really not a luau, more like a Polynesian Review with very eclectic food.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,705 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

Aloha,

Celebrating their 50th year the PCC continues to raise the bar for entertaining people from all over the World.

Authentic, Fun and Educational it is really more than a Luau , but an experience in Polynesian Culture.

Thousands upon thousands of people for decades have been enjoying this venue.

You will be missing out if you dont visit the PCC

Really, both are good. As most Luau are a fun thing

Just different,

Aloha

Edited: 21 June 2012, 18:41
Level Contributor
9 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

We went to the Old Lahaina Luau May 11, 2012. The food and service were excellent. And the drinks were unlimited; however the show left me expecting more. I was looking for something more varied than just the hula.

The longer it went on (and it seemed to drag on a long time), the more boring it became and I wish I had gone to the feast at lele. There was no interaction - you just sit, watch and hope you can understand the MC.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

If you have reservations for the Old Lahaina Luau - keep them.

Take a look at what the PCC has to offer and see if it fits your schedule and budget. Their evening show is spectacular - and you can make reservations for it without the luau or other parts of the PCC attractions.

f m
nc
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: polynesian cultural center vs old lahaina?

Would you do both?