We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the beaten path

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
570 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
Off the beaten path

Where do the locals eat ?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the beaten path

"Anywhere they want!" (Rim shot, please!)

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
570 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the beaten path

To BLBL I guess that's funny for you ! :((

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the beaten path

i think the answer mainly is, most of the places the locals eat have also been discovered by tourists.

Check out da Kitchen, maalaea waterfront ... those are two places i've been that have seemed to have more locals. Also makawao steak house but i wasn't impressed. Places like Wailuku or Kahului where there are generally fewer tourist attractions will likely have more local-type restaurants, too. But Maui is a bit small to have a lot of "off the beaten path" options.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the beaten path

Well, CALos - it's just true. I don't think Maui has a big line between where residents eat and visitors eat. Residents wouldn't eat at hotels or fine dining establishments so much - possibly for a special occasion - but I would say the same thing for vacationers.

If you are asking about "Hawaiian" cuisine - or you want to try Hawaiian specialties - that's a different question. And sometimes the answers are at the grocery stores.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the beaten path

Here are a few places that I've eaten at, that are more local than tourist:

Sam Sato's in Wailuku - Home of Dry Noodle. Frankly, any place in Wailuku or Kahului are going to be more local.

Buzz's Wharf at Maalea Harbor - Great shrimp dishes from their own shrimp farm

Star Noodle, on the mountain side, up above the Cannery Mall in Lahaina. It's back in a light industrial/Commercial zone. It's owned by the same people that own Aloha Mixed Plate and Feast at Lele. You'll definitely see tourists there, but last time I went, it was more locals.

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
570 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off the beaten path

da kitchen menu on there website looks really good to me. Thank you for the replies.

:))

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
406 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off the beaten path

Local Food in Lahaina near Lahaina Tattoo, they close early though :(

Good cheap plate lunches

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off the beaten path

locals eat spam, madonalds and f'ing burger king! unless they know better, then they eat choic, farmers market, thai chef, blue lagoon, and lahaina cafe.......unless we are in trouble with our girl then we go to mala or marrimans.....ask yourself this.........do i really want to go to the spam capitial of the world and eat where the locals eat???

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off the beaten path

I think they eat at the top rated places on TA and Yelp. The best places rise to the top, and even the locals know it. Doesn't have to be a fancy place either. My favorite places to eat where I live, are mom and pop underdogs.

When I go on trips, I scan TA for the type of food I want, find the places with good reviews, and they usually have great food.

10. Re: Off the beaten path

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 02:19