We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SCUBA diving...shore or boat?

Baytown, Texas...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SCUBA diving...shore or boat?

We will be in West Maui-Lahaina one day arriving on a cruise ship. Trying to decide which diving is better as far as seeing the most sea life, boat diving or shore diving? We are both advanced divers. Any advice, experience or comments are welcome. Thanks!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SCUBA diving...shore or boat?

For my money, if you can get it booked is the Cathedrals off Lanai coast. But you may not have time for it. Molokini has been overworked for the last 15 years or better unless you're able to do the back wall dive, and that's if the weather accomodates. Which gets down to a shore dive. I've gotten a lot of good pictures of fishlife on the reef off Airport beach. That's where I would head for a beach dive.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SCUBA diving...shore or boat?

Is this arranged by the cruise ship? Most arranged dives go out early morning by boat so for a ship that docks early morning the timing may not work. You can DIY a shore dive (done it myself) but without a car that would be problematic unless you can fix something up through a dive operator who provides a guide.

Ps I agree regards Cathedrals, was one of my best ever dives, I did that out of Lahaina with Extended Horizons some years ago.

Edited: 30 December 2012, 09:24
Baytown, Texas...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: SCUBA diving...shore or boat?

No nothing is available thru the cruise ship as far as diving :( We are having to make the arrangement ourselves. The problem we are having is yes the boat leaves out around 7am and we don't even dock til 7am! I'm going to give extended horizons a call and see what they can offer. We have plenty of time as we arent cruising til April. Thank you for your input and advice. If the boat dive doesn't work out we will try Airport beach for a shore dive. Thanks again

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SCUBA diving...shore or boat?

Yep 7am arrival likely to be too late for most if not all morning dives.

If you want to DIY and can rent a car, you could drive down to b&b scuba in Kihei, rent your gear then drive a few miles down to Ulua beach, which has parking, showers, and some reefs just offshore, or a little further down south (couple of miles) some other shore dives I forget the name of (possibly 5 graves is one ?) but the folks in the shop will advise. They can also provide a guide who will guide you to spots and dive with you, though that needs to be set up in advance obviously.

Another option is just to find someone doing an afternoon trip to Molokini. Not the best as the wind comes up in the afternoon, but it's offshore so once you are under you arent bothered by the waves and have good vis, which you may not get on a shore dive. You could try Maui Dive Shop they have an operation in Lahaina perhaps they do afternoon dives.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,344 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SCUBA diving...shore or boat?

If you end up doing a shore drive, check out Honolua Bay. Rent a car in Lahaina and drive up, it's only a 15 minute drive.

Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SCUBA diving...shore or boat?

Although your ship anchors at 7am, there is no dock in Lahaina so you will be tendered into Lahaina Harbor. The ship reserves the first few tenders for the early departure shore excursions so the "general passengers" have to wait. Usually this means getting to shore about 8 -8:30am. Morning boats for scuba are long gone..

Best bet is to rent a car and do a beach dive(most economical for 2 or more divers) or do a beach dive off a boat from Lahaina Harbor in the afternoon, Turtle Reef with Lahaina Divers...no car needed.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SCUBA diving...shore or boat?

Rent a car in Lahaina and drive up, it's only a 15 minute drive.

======

And practically impossible to park unless you are there crack of dawn or get lucky.

8. Re: SCUBA diving...shore or boat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Lahaina
Recent Conversations