We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Value deals

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
389 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Value deals

I need all the knowledge of everyone here. My wife and I got married here 2 years ago thinking this would be be a once in a lifetime experience. Well, I'm booked for our 3rd trip

This April . I met so many people that have done this for 15 years. Problem is that business is bad, budget tight .Condo in Kahana is great, Costco , wal/mart , ect. I need help with Value. We don't make much but keep coming here.What do you think is the best Value to go out to eat. Merrimans?, Kimos, Lahaina Inn,Pacifico, . I've maximized all my other costs, flight, housing ,auto rental. The big Cost now is how much/ often to go out. We go for two weeks, so thoughts in making wife happy?

california
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Value deals

Love this post....Any day in Hawaii is a great day...Just cooking dinner at your condo and watching the sunset with a good glass of wine or mai tai...Moneypad I think is a very good value...Merrimans can be expense...Kimons may be a good deal....Just enjoy your time with the one you love..Listen to the ocean watch the sunset or rise

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Value deals

Kimos is pretty good value....for great value....go down to Honokawai and get take out from the Okazuya Deli.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Value deals

Lots of ways to eat well on a budget without tons of cooking...

Eat breakfast in most days. Easy stuff. Fresh fruit, local baked goods, eggs, breakfast wraps etc. Leftover pineapple upside down cake is a fine option too says several TA posters!

Maybe do a brunch one Sun and indulge in pancakes @ the Gazebo in Napili one morning!

Generally, lunches at higher end restaurants are pricer lower than dinners and most people will spend less on alcohol this time of day. So splurge on lunches instead of dinners.

Research happy hours for deals on pupus and call it dinner.

Class Act @ the cooking school is highly recommended and

incredibly well priced. Menus & res online.

Some restaurants offer multi course set menus for a good price as well as early bird specials that usually have to ordered before 6 pm. One in Maalaea Harbour rings a bell. Can't recall name.

Check TA restaurant lists for affordable restaurants that offer take out. Visit their websites and print out some menus.

Order your main entrees from them and make some easy sides/appetizers/dessert yourself or get something premade at the grocery store. Invite your wife on a picnic dinner watching the sunset from a beach or park that may be special to you. Big time brownie points!

Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Value deals

Order take out from Star Noodle and eat at your condo or at a beach park, then you can supply your own drinks.

Level Contributor
389 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Value deals

I can't believe we haven't gone to Okazuya deli yet, and just min. away, Thanks

6. Re: Value deals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 February 2013, 19:35
Level Contributor
389 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Value deals

Great ideas, I never heard of Class Act, but cooking school has to be good. We normally eat in breakfast but will try Gazebo again. We have to start early that day cause the lines can be long , thanks

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Value deals

Empireguy, if your question is asking, "which of the high end restaurants is the best value for that "high end" experience?", then I was suggest going to happy hour at Merriman's wine bar, which is the outdoor seating, out on the point. We've done this several times, ordering pupus and wine and dessert, while enjoying a breathtaking sunset and the glow of the fire pit.

if you want to beat the lines at teh Gazebo, try going to the Sea House, on the other side of Napili Bay. Equally good food, equally good view, no lines any time I've gone.

Some other value favorites of ours are Aloha Mixed Plate, Star Noodle, Honu (wide menu which can go expensive or reasonable, your choice), Poke Bowls at the various supermarkets, the Honolua Store and the Okazuya Deli. Our best value move is to do breakfasts in. Fresh fruit, sweet bread and local jam, and Maui coffee makes me as happy as any breakfast out and costs very little.

Have a great trip!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Value deals

The best value and time the dh and I had was taking a picnic breakfast, lunch, brunch or dinner that we prepared ourselves to the beach during the morning, afternoon or sunset. Add a bottle of vino and you are good to go!!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Value deals

When we spend two weeks on the island, and always in a condo, we only eat out sparingly, just as we do at home. We plan meals that last several days, and make our own lunches.

I'm with msfuzz, we really like taking our own picnic out. With so many awesome locations to choose from, just make your own special moments.

Having said that, our favorite places without breaking the bank are Leilani's (Early Bird before 6) and Cool Cat.